MotoVan194

6 year '12 NV2500 5.6 owner, new problems!

Howdy,

Long time lurker but finally signed up for an account.

Bought my truck/van back in 2019 and been through just under 50k miles with it. Lot of towing miles in there.

Recently (1+ month ago), jumped into the driver's seat and turned the key over and heard a loud *POP* and I don't recall what it was that popped up on the display, but it was abnormal to say the least.

Then began the crank no start era that I've been living in the past month and a half, almost.

Anyways, will likely make some posts with questions and updates... but I'm currently under the impression that it was ECM related and going to have a reman done or something of that nature if I can't maybe buy a used one and recode it with a scanner... we'll see. Anyhow, hellow NV Forum members.

-EC

What codes are in the computer?

Computer failures are pretty rare.  The typical hard start, long crank, is bad crank/cam sensors.  Happens out of the blue.  But that is only a guess.  Pull codes before going down the rabbit hole throwing bad parts after good.

Posted (edited)

U1000 / U1000-00 CAN Comm. Circuit

B2193-00 BCM - ECM Chain

Forgot to mention that it has the typical rad fans running as hard as they go and immobilizer/anti theft icon with "key vehicle" symbol on dash. Normal from not being able to talk to ECU, only higher end scanner was able to pull codes from stored info.

I did have the Bully Dog GT Tuner recently installed, followed their instructions during business hours to a T.

Audible pop when this issue arose, not obvious if it was one of the ECM capacitors.

I have replaced all the relays on the IPDM, only checked for resistance, all fuses in good ship non popped, I'm thinking possible open or short somewhere in harness from driving down violently unpaved Texas roads.

I'm second owner and never been in any accident whatsoever to my knowledge.

Currently considering replacing ECM with an FS1 reman ECM, a used or new BCM, new or used IPDM, and Cam & Crank posi sensors.

Getting to the point where I have to make another 3k mi trip for medical reasons, and it's been dead as a door nail since June. Oddly, I had a JL amp and a boss head unit go bad at the same time earlier this year, my backup beepers stopped working and the onboard inverters that came on the cargo model gave up at the same time too.

-EC

Edited by MotoVan194
forgot to add information

ECM is under the hood

BCM is under the dash.

If you heard a pop, it probably wasn't from inside the ECM under the hood.  I would guess BCM behind the dash.

The other thing that makes pop noises is when fuses blow.  And Nissan likes to put fuses all over the place.  No old days of one fuse panel.  Some under the dash, some under the hood.  Don't expect to find just one fuse to the module, several fuses for different operations.

Posted (edited)

I'll be sure to do that right now. Can't find a matching part # of 284b0 1pa1c for the bcm other than a used model in San Diego.

As well, a used bcm will require new keys and unsure if any bcm supersedes this part# and can be programmed for vin matching and safe function.

Wiring harness diagnostics appear normal, no short to ground, no kinked or broken wires apparent at this time...

Some other interesting tidbits but the bcm seems to be the current massive hurdle. I'll jump into the search bar @radin2son and find that ASDad post... thank you. 

Edit: Oh I think what you were saying is check @ASD Dad Bully Dog GT install. He was the primary motivator for me to make the jump to purchase it. Now it's bricked the ECM, and BCM concurrently seems to be problematic and can't locate a replacement... may be parting out the NV and replacing I guess.

Edited by MotoVan194
misunderstanding on my behalf

Just spoke to local parts guys, they're claiming that part # on bcm pulled from my Nissan doesn't exist anymore and the only part # that might work is 284b1-1pa1c. Difference there being a 1 instead of a 0 after the first letter. We will see what happens after chatting with local shop manager.

Alright. So heres the process of diagnosis.

Started in May after surgery and return home present. Purchased a Bully Dog GT Tuner for the high back NV V8. Updates and install was down with bully dog on the line, even taking control of my computer via a 3rd party service thing. Took about an hour and all was straight from there. Noticeable power gains, nice HUD on the device. Was digging it!

June now...

Following this, drove an elderly family member to get groceries and drove real nice on it due to the precious cargo (grandpa).

Bring in groceries, make supper, go to take the family home back to our house. Loud audible pop and a word popped up on display about fuel pump or something I honestly dont recall because I was a bit shocked. Proceeded to check fuses and relays, battery grounds, battery voltage, and all the immediately presumably culprits. Nothing. Spend another couple days going through everything to try and find something, we can always fix it! Right?

Oh and checked fuel pump/gauges for accuracy and presence of fresh 89/91 octane fuel from the local Buccees in the tank.

Finally throw in the towel, utilize USAA towing to have it taken from family's house 29.8 miles away to our house. Tow truck driver had no issue loading her down and dropping off in driveway.

Proceeded to check IPDM and ECM relay as it was a common recall item with Nissan, namely the titan and frontier. Possibly other models that I dont recall as well.

Nothing.

Go through wiring for short to grounds or any unwanted damage. Maybe rodents? Negative from findings. Passed 5V reference, IPDM test, BCM swapped and programmed with new keys and transponder. Oh by the way, Xtool is useless for the NV so I'd recommend Autel or another similar diag tool unless you're needing to check some simple active functions and pull codes from storage to chase after.

So we've got fresh battery I forgot to mention, fuses and relays all tested and or replaced via multimeter or test light, checked harness and ipdm, bcm, keys, chasing codes...

Verified that the Bully Dog tuner completely bricked the stock ECM. Since June been chasing this and just got fuel and ignition back up Ricky Ticky Tacky via a Flagship 1 reman/repro ecu. Funny thing was the tune was loaded for more than a week before it popped the stock unit. Bcm seems fine as does the fuse block and relays and all wires. I prayed for this and I'm very thankful I ended up being triumphant. This was a huge issue as I've got 2 surgeries coming up along with some family matters that require another cross country move and everyone counting on us. This van was my rock and it may keep rolling.

Some miles on er, and at least another few thousand to go. We'll see what happens but with limited availability of parts, albeit not a problem outside of the programmer turning the original bored to burnt toast... not sure how long I think I am interested in vesting the cargo girl into the future. Considering a 7.3 turbo, or a lbz chev, or possibly a 5.9 12/24 valver.

Been fun and we'll see how my luck ticks, but I'm really glad I got it figured out. Ecu ecu ecu. Bad luck with Bully Dog so back to stock tune for the towing run back north.

Hope everyone here is doing fine this evening, and God Bless y'all.