MrOlaf

Trip from Pennsylvania to Disney (Florida)

So we took our second trip in the Nissan NV Passenger to Disney.  I installed an OBDII Reader and the Torque Pro app so I could see real time information (especially gas mileage)  I tried to keep my RPMs between 2400-2600.  The mileage varied between 9mpg to 22mpg depending on if i was chugging up a hill or on a slight down grade.  The Long term average MPG is reading at 15.8 MPG  All highway.  I did replace my dirty air filter before this trip and got an oil change and had them adjust tire pressure as well.  It seems that the "range" function on the dashboard is a learning computer (SKYNET!!!) lol.  Anyways what I mean is that I've noticed the range starts to learn based on your mileage.  When I was home driving around town over and over the tank would give me a range of 270 approx upon fill-up.  After the Disney trip I filled my tank and it gave me a range of 400.  In reality I was getting 300 miles on a tank and this would take me to about 1/8th tank. 

On a side note, I know it's bad for your fuel pump to drive to empty because the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank.  what would be considered the lowest safe level?  1/3rd tank 1/2tank? 1/4th tank left?

Also had crazy freezing rain and snow while we were leaving PA.  Counted like 7 cars that were spun off the road.  Drove very slow during this period,  It was crazy to have this much ice on the van [about 1/2" thick](I thought my antenna was gonna snap it was flexing back and forth)  yet by driving for a few more hours you end up with 80 degree weather.  Weather is nuts.

20150301 171426

20150301 171336

20150301 171251

I just did a daytrip, 309 round trip.  Slow incline upgrade on the way there, AC on full blast most of the one way 'cos grandson was "chillin'" in the back watching redbox movie.  Super crazy winds the whole time, some dust clouds, and even 4 or 5 "sun showers."  When I refilled tank at home, I had averaged 14 MPG.  I say not too bad, considering.  Now where the heck can I wash this thing?  Went thru' a cricket swarm or something! 

funny you should mention the car wash.  I wanted to wash the salt off at the local drive through car wash I've taken it to in the past and as I'm in line the attendant says to me that they recently installed new wheel cleaning machines and that my vehicle is now to wide lol.  He said Hummers and Raptors are also on the black list as well :)