neotim

Weight Distributing Hitch necessary for hybrid camper?

I just bought a NV 3500 SL, and I'm wanting to tow our Trail-Lite 17' hybrid camper with it.  I have a brake controller in it.

I'm wondering about the necessity of getting a weight distributing hitch.  The camper has a GVWR of 2800 lbs, and I'd guess that, with our stuff, the trailer probably weighs that much.  

It's highly unlikely that you need a weight dist. hitch since you have the NV3500. 2800 lbs is super lite for that vehicle.

Only two things would require a WD hitch in your case:

1.  Sway. If you get a lot of sway from the trailer while towing you need a WD hitch to attach sway control. Again sway is highly unlikely due to the short length of the trailer in relation to the NV3500

2. If you have quite a bit of weight already in the back of the van, the added tongue weight might make the rear of the van sag too much. The WD hitch would then bring you back up. To test just hook up the trailer & see.

I have the NV2500 & pull a 16 ft trailer weighing over 7000 lbs & don't need a WD hitch.

Edited by vanguy

I'm guessing tongue weight is between 200 and 300 lbs, around 10% of trailer weight.

Yeah...we drug around a larger sized pop-up right at 3K LBS  for one last trip with our NV before we bought a travel trailer....hardly knew it was back there.