ZekeB

Space for a gray water tank under NV2500?

All,

Is there space for a gray water tank under the NV2500?  Has anyone done this?  Any pointers to resources that may help me out?

Many thanks,

--Zeke

ZekeB,

If you want capacity, I think you will have to relocate the spare tire and utilize that cavity.

However, if you only need a small tank the long and narrow cavity immediately underneath on the side between the driver's seat and the rear wheel well will provide a spot that is approx 7" x 7" x 36" - I'm guessing 5 to 6 gals worth of space.

As for a source, head over to the Sprinter forum at www.sprinter-source.com and start doing some searches for tanks. I'm sure you will find some leads for both stock and custom tanks in their discussions.

That site is a good source of information for anyone going any type of conversion work - they have been at it for a long time and they love to talk about it.

Our "tiny" gray water tank is located midway between the rear edge of the driver side door and the seam midway between door and wheel well. It is vented just under middle of the side window. 

(After an emissions sensor was repaired at Scott Clark Nissan, Chris took a look at our NV with the top up. Little did he know he would be showing the location of the gray water vent and general location of the city water and shore power intakes.) 

We found out what little capacity it has when on our first day, trip it started flowing out the vent. We mostly leave the drain open over a large dish pan that can be carried to sink water dumps that tent campers use or to bathrooms with washing sinks.
Another tactic is to leave drain open with the cap on loosely and let it drain as you drive.

Our van came with it, but you just might want to go with the dish pan.

One other thing, when we use the external shower we stand in the same dish pan. The size of the pan will depend on the size of your foot.

post-376-0-88485200-1433292710_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-22424800-1433292731_thumb.jpg

Edited by radin2son

Both very informative posts.

So obviously other people are doing the same thing I have in mind here.  I've gone over all I could find on the Sprinter forums and have some good ideas. 

I'd really like to see what others have done with their NV 2500s.  Please post in here!  

The capacity for water is 7.48 gallons per cubic foot. Also it's 8.3# per gallon. Having an aluminum or stainless tank fabricated is not cheap. but it might give you the biggest tank for your size restrictions.  no one says you need to install it under the floor. a simple pump with check valve can easily pump the grey water to a more convenient location. With a tall van, a simple subfloor can hide a simple tank too. 

Also look into round sewer pipe. sdr35 is your best bet as it's relatively cheap and has a thick enough wall to support itself.  It's cheaper and lighter weight than sch. 40.  You can do the math or google the capacity per foot of pipe. 

Rick.

Rick has a good point about the weight of water. We don't carry gray water for this reason, so the size of the tank is moot.

If you haven't worked out your water holding tank(s), we carry potable water in a 20 gallon internal tank. The van came with a 10 gallon tank, so we swapped it out for the larger. We use campground water hookups when available for daily use and to fill the tank. We do not drink this water. Instead, we carry 10 gallons of store bought drinking water in gallon containers we stash around the van.

There is a lot going on in these van conversions

even when you keep them simple.