cwmacphail

NV Passenger (SV V6) - Fitting it up for long road trips

Hello from just north of San Diego.

Really appreciate this site and especially the forum posts!

I'm doing a lot of minor tweaks to my new NV Passenger (SV V6). My first 8-week road trip will be this fall.

I removed 8 of the seats and I'm working out some simple, lightweight solutions for stowage (including bike), a table, sleeping mattress, ventilation, and lighting.

I looked at every van option and chose the NV for driver comfort and various other features. Hoping the V6 will get a little better mileage than other vans.

Thanks Chris. 

Planning UT, CO, SD, MN, IL, TN, NC, SC, FL, LA, TX, NM, AZ

Maybe tour of NV assembly plant in Canton, MS?

Except for MN and most of IL, this is a familiar travel grouping of states. Lots to see and do...

If your budget can handle this and you are interested in dual functionality, think "backpacking and base camp" and look at folding tables, chairs, solar charger for LED lighting, multi-burner stove etc from REI or whatever store you like. You will want to able to spent time outside of your van, which will get very cramped as the weeks go by.

Thanks Radin2son.

Helpful advice, I think. I'll "get out of the van" enough. Probably sleep in it 2-3 nights per week. Stay with friends other nights. I'm excited to bring a bike that I can deploy in maybe 20 seconds. Wheels stay on. It fits REALLY well just inside the rear doors if you turn it upside down.

I was thinking of only cold food + restaurants…no stove…no dishwashing.  But maybe stove + simple hot meals is the way to go. Yeah, cooking strictly outside the van.

I don't get the solar suggestion. I made some fixtures with LED  bulbs that put out lots of beautiful home-like light for 12 watts (5 + 7). I think I can drive those (and a 2-watt overnight fan) with a battery that recharges during drive-time. Harbor Freight "3-in-1 Jump starter" (lead-acid) or maybe a 12v Li-Ion model.

I see people get into gridlock with all their "stuff," so I'm trying to keep everything organized and minimal.

Thanks for all your tips.

Based on your plans, you don't need solar. You have your lighting covered as well as starting your van if you run the battery down.

Regarding solar, I meant the small solar chargers for phones, cameras and string lights that are available for backpackers and anyone else away from a power source for long periods. Can't see adding this weight and bulk to a pack, but there is a small solar lantern/flashlight that sort of makes sense. We mainly look at this stuff to see if it can be adapted for something else. Usually not...

Came across a neat lantern idea that uses a headlamp and clear, full water bottle. Wrap the lamp, shining in, around the end of the water bottle, hang it and the water disperses the light.