Sign in to follow this  
maxEX84

I'm new... want to see what everybody else is doing with their NV's

I have a 2012 NV3500HD Passenger that I picked up about 2 years ago since my wife and I saw it as a good option for our youngest child with disabilities and have 3 other kids and a dog. Since owning it, I have installed a 7" in dash screen with GPS, rear view camera to work with it, flip down screen for the kids, rear entry wheel chair lift and Class 3 hitch receiver and wiring for the trailer lighting.

There's other little things in the van that I've done, like mounting for oxygen bottles and tie-downs for my daughter's power chair, and also a 3KW inverter for her equipment.

I do have the 4.0L  V6 under the hood and I'm looking into whether or not it would be worth it to tweak the motor for better performance and torque or swap it out for the 5.6L V8?

Also looking to see if anybody has done anything in ways of modifying their suspension as well, I understand that most of the parts are shared with the Titan as well.

I'm not aware of many, if any, mods that can be done to the 4.0 V6.  All the Nissan tuners (Bully Dog, Uprev, Superchips, etc) work with the 5.6 motor only.  I am not aware of any off the shelf intake either.  I doubt there are headers for it.  I just dont think that motor was tweaked by the aftermarket vs. the vast amount of 5.6 motors in the Titans and Armadas.  

Even with the 5.6 stuff doesnt quite just "Fit".  I had to modify an intake (Airaid) to fit since the NV is wider than either the Titan or Armada.  My Bully Dog GT needed tweaked by the company even though the motor is the same.  Uprev charges extra for tuning a NV as well.  Superchips doesnt even support the NV even though the motor is the same.  5.6 headers should bolt up but Titan/Armada exhausts dont fit off the shelf.  Hangers and length are all wrong.  

You could of course make a custom intake somewhat easily as long as you could get the MAF installed right.

Curious about the sharing suspension with a Titan.  I wasnt aware of that and most parts that I see for a Titan do not list any of the NV's.  The 3500HD like we have is a 1 Ton van, the Titan is a 1/2 T truck.  Axles are definitely different as are the leaf packs out back.  Not sure about up front.  I do know Quigly 4X4 offers a mild lift for the NV when they do conversions.  I'd like to know what those parts are.  Could be as simple as a leveling style kit with a spacer or it could be totally new springs/perches, etc.

New here, but a "seasoned" owner... Welcome.

I doubt Nissan Commercial ever envisioned the adaptability of NVPs for special needs. Post some photos so others can see what you have done.

Maybe the engineers will consider this in next generation NV. The option of an extended version of all NVs would be welcome.

As far as I know when checking Nissan's part numbers for the suspension. Just about everything up front are dead on matches. the rear leaf springs are different for sure, but mounting point distance is the same(I had a chance to compare with my buddy's Titan). I would be able to keep the rear sway bar and weld in some ladder bars to the frame and axle.

As for the engine performance, I guess I could try checking what the Nissan Frontier guys are doing...