NVP

Led lightbar?

Anybody install a led light bar yet? If so, what size and where did you mount it?

If you search the gallery photos there are several people that have LED bars.  A few have put them in the bumper slot.  That's where I plan on mounting one if I dont get a roof rack.

Edited by ASD Dad

I've had a bar since last summer that I planned to put in the bumper hole. But lately I've had my eye on getting a new side x side (Honda Pioneer 1000) and I think I may put the bar on that instead. Still undecided.....

After 2 years and 35,000 miles, I finally got the lightbar installed this weekend. Amazing the amount of light these things throw!

post-836-0-80711500-1477235728_thumb.jpeg

post-836-0-50722600-1477235744_thumb.jpeg

post-836-0-21750000-1477235759_thumb.jpeg

Nice job on the install.  Looks good.  How about two nighttime images?  One with and without the light bar.

After 2 years and 35,000 miles, I finally got the lightbar installed this weekend. Amazing the amount of light these things throw!

What model is that bar? Would love some nighttime shots as well.

Thanks for the compliments. I'll try getting some nighttime shots ASAP..... The camera on this old phone seemed really unhappy with the intense white light and dark surroundings on some photos last night, but I'll see if I can get some to work out.

I know I'm far from the first one to install a light bar on this forum, but I must say, the super intense, white light makes the headlights look like yellow candles when viewing the van from the front.

It's a 20", 100watt, combo beam light from superbrightleds.com. It was $220 when I ordered in December 2014....

I also swapped out the H11 driving light bulbs in the bumper for LED direct replacements. They still don't throw much light, just like the halogens, but they consume 1/10th the power and look much better with the white/bluish light... $20 each at superbrightleds.com

Awesome!  Thanks for the pics.  Looks like that little bar has some nice throw on it.  I'll definitely look into them.

I really like it. They really wouldn't make much sense if your drive in urban areas most of the time, you'd never be able to run it. But out in a rural area like we live, with lots of deer around, having so much light for so little power usage and low price is such a luxury.... :)

I have deer, coyote, fox, turkey, etc... and 5+ miles of pitch black 2 lane at 55 mph through lots of farmland.  Once deer are on the move I see at least 3-4 a week that were hit.  The second NV owner in my area hit a big buck 3 weeks in of ownership.  Did nearly $10,000 in damage!  Need light!!

How did you mount it in the bumper?  Just cut the plastic slats out and use a right angle driver to mount the brackets?

Yeah, I just cut out the plastic with a hand saw. The light is actually mounted to the black metal C-channel brace that runs behind the bumper, but in front of the radiator. And your correct, it took a right-angle drill to make the holes. Then I just ran a bolt through the lightbar mounts with lock washers. It's recessed a little more than ideal maybe, but it looks cleaner and throws enough light for me.

Thanks for the info.  I havent actually gotten to far into checking into the mounts and options.  I like the idea of the bar down there vs. up on my roof rack even though a big 50" lightbar up there could be fun.  Better throw up high but risk of damage when I am carrying stuff up there on the rack.  

Definitely think I will be doing this as a next project especially with winter coming and shorter days.

Oh man, I'd be in the same boat as you.... I'd *love* a huge lightbar mounted up high on a rack.... You'd have insane visibility! But the vulnerability does stink.... I like doing little projects like this, but I don't like fixing stuff if it gets damaged!