Sign in to follow this  
Great White

New High Top

I purchased a 2015 3500 HD SL high top cargo van about 4 months ago. I am in the process of converting it into a camper van to get off into some of the more rustic ares here in Oregon. I replaced a Dodge Ram 1500 express 4x4  and R-Pod trailer with it. This van is already proven itself to be more capable than the Dodge ever was. The 5.6 is comparable to the hemi and I was shocked how fast this van will go from 25 mph to 70 at on-ramps. This is a brick but it will scat when needed. I test drove the 2500 and another 3500 with the v6. Very pleased with the stable ride of the 3500 in sharp turns and side winds, it Stays planted. Up here the mountains will eat up the v6 so I opted for the v8. I am impressed with everything but mileage, but when you are 9 and a half feet tall and weigh as much as a whale, you have to expect a trade off. I enjoy the conversion and modification  threads and look forward to the forums.  Have a great Holiday Season everyone!

Congrats on the new truck.  Put up some photos of your conversion as you go along so we can steal your ideas.  I am  building a simple camper out of a 2015 2500 HD SL 5.6 and have photos under Laharview Camper Build.  I agree with your comment about the acceleration.  This summer pulled 8,000 lbs of trailer and John Deere tractor over the pass and was impressed.  Way better comfort and handling than my 1988 2500 Chev (sold it).  If you want millage this truck is not for you.

Mike

post-1155-0-24136000-1449886131_thumb.jpg

Edited by laharview

I agree about mileage. It is not a major concern. I  am building a simple set up as well. Tankless and no AC. I just wanted a platform to get into places I couldn't with a travel trailer or the problem of bottoming out with a conventional class B. I will post pics as I work on it. I have seen some of the pics out there and will do a little stealing of my own. I am glad to find a forum for the NV. Great info and a hell of a van!

Welcome.

We are heatless and headed west over the continental divide to west Texas for a little exploring. It will be colder, but tolerable we hope.

In addition to pics, be sure to post what works for you.

Thanks and will do. I lived in Texas and have made the trip through west Texas many times. It can get bitter cold with driving winds and some snow and ice so be prepared. Bad storms blow up quick and high winds, hard rain, hail, and lightning can catch you unaware. Please don't let me scare you, just be vigilant and you will be fine. I don't know if you have ever been there, but, Big Bend is beautiful and the mountains have a nice campground and lodge. Judge Roy Bean's place is good to visit. Gas is plentiful and I-10 is flat and good driving, just long!  Have a good time.

We're headed toward the Big Bend area. Nice tailwind along east I-10. Our 2012 shows mpg and I was looking forward to inflated mpg above what it normally is, but it didn't show it. It has done this before when I reset it to zero at the start of a trip. I think it was Rick who mentioned something about a complicated averaging formula. I will know mpg when I fill up...

Weather looks good online. We were in the area almost 2 years ago, but I don't remember if there were a lot of cellular dead zones. There is always the radio. Marfa has a great community radio station.

We're headed toward the Big Bend area. Nice tailwind along east I-10. Our 2012 shows mpg and I was looking forward to inflated mpg above what it normally is, but it didn't show it. It has done this before when I reset it to zero at the start of a trip. I think it was Rick who mentioned something about a complicated averaging formula. I will know mpg when I fill up...

Weather looks good online. We were in the area almost 2 years ago, but I don't remember if there were a lot of cellular dead zones. There is always the radio. Marfa has a great community radio station.

Yep, dead zones are a problem. If you haven't been to Big Bend you will love it. Last time I was there I filled up in Marathon which is quite a ways north of the park. There was only one place to fuel up in the park when I was there and it was expensive. The park is huge and hilly so I would watch my gas levels. I would have to carry an extra can to be safe with my van, Ha. I don't have the MPG meter in my van just them fuel mileage average read out at the bottom of the cluster. It is only an approximation and I have seen it drop by several miles in a short distance depending on stop and go and hills. I just do it old school and use long hand division. I envy you on the location and the sunrises and sunsets! Just watch out for spiders, scorpions, and rattlers. Post some pics. Have a great time!

17.8 mpg with a tailwind. It was the "range" that had the complicated formula. Will do the math later to see what the real mpg was.

Thanks for the info.