Sign in to follow this  
Angoraknitter

Hi! Fellow Big family van owners!

Just googling for car seat comparability info and found this forum. Our NVP is a few years old and my car seats are expiring next year... And there's new stuff on the market! So here I am.

I used to be irked by our limitation on latch options in our van, and have found seat belt installs unsatisfactory... Till three days ago I learned about Britaxes click tight innovation and now I'm like "latch whatever." Now my car seat configuration possibilities are blowing my mind and making like our van so much more.

So point me in the direction of all the big family van chatter!

I posted in the other thread, but built in lockoffs are the bomb, and honestly the seatbelts are designed that if pulled out all the way and slowly, slowly released, they will automatically lock. Diono Radians are notoriously hard for installs, but I installed mine easily with a seatbelt in this van! My infant seat has a built in lockoff which is awesome and my Britax (pre-click tight) convertible did great too with the ALR system.

Boy I remember the days of car seats, cribs, toys, dipper bags.  It takes a box truck just to haul all the crap kids need.  I'd go back and do it again in a heartbeat!   Enjoy the moment.  

Hi, this is my first post to this forum.

I used this to figure out what the fuel mileage of these beast was, and in the end ordered a 2016 with the V6.  Just got a call yesterday that it is on its way from Canton Mississippi which is great, as we are planning to leave on vacation to SC in 3.5 weeks!

We are expecting our 7th child any day so that's why this thread of "big family van owners" caught my attention.  Just won't fit in the Sienna anymore, as much as we loved that van.

I like to refer to the NV as a Ford Flex on steroids.  Initially we selected it because I told my wife, if I'm going to drive around with 7 kids, I want to look good doing it!  But then cost made it a logical choice - it is very well equipped for about 5k less than the Chevy and 12K less than the Transit.  At least in our Canadian dollars.  Bought it in silver because it will look cleaner longer, and that's a lot of sheet metal to clean if it's dirty.  The java metallic did peak our curiosity, however.

Anyway, looking forward to reading and sharing more on this forum regarding this vehicle.  Looking forward to many family fun trips (we vacation in West Virginia a couple of times a year and I hope the V6 can handle the hills - here in Ontario I don't need to worry about that).

Cheers.

Bart

Welcome to the forum!  Our second vehicle is a Sienna.  We love both vans quite a bit.  Our needs are different vs. a big family though, we have 3 small kids and two big dogs but we needed the room for camping.  We outgrew pickups and we refuse to take two vehicles on trips so had to find something beefy enough to tow a good sizes camper while also hauling us in comfort.  

Where in SC are you heading?  I would guess the coast - Myrtle, Charleston, Hilton Head, etc.  We live up in the Piedmont foothills area so we're about 3-1/2 hours from Charleston.  

The V6 should be fine with just the family loaded.  You may not be passing everybody up the steeper grades but you'll do fine.  

Thanks for the welcome!.

We are headed to Hilton Head - we booked the trip thinking that we were done at 6 kids ages 2-12... about a week later we found out we were due with #7!  And the due date is the same day as our first week of check-in (we are there 2 weeks)...  I told my wife we'll make it, and having the big van in time will make that happen I hope.

We love travelling in the US and the kids are excellent on the road even without video games etc., but 14hrs of driving to HH beats 18-20hrs for Florida for our March break.  I have heard good things about HH from friends.  Usually we vacation in the Canaan Valley area of West Virginia (have a few weeks of a timeshare in July and absolutely love the geography and nature of the area).

I think the V6 will be fine too, and I'll post our experience with it for anyone else thinking of taking the leap. 

Thanks!

Bart

We're heading down to FL in March as well! (St Augustine).  We used to go to HHI yearly but with the kids we decided camping was more fun so stopped heading down there.  We havent been in over 6 years now but it is a really nice area with tons to do and a very nice beach.  If you're into fresh seafood find The Seashack.  It is a hole in the wall place that is located back in an industrial park like area.  Used to be a locals place until sites like Tripadvisor and Yelp pushed them up the rankings.  They used to be one of the best places to get local seafood but be prepared for a long line and little seating unless you go at an off hour.  Menu changes depending on what is brought in by the fisherman and once sold out it gets erased off the blackboard.  If you order, make sure it is something that is local and in season and not brought in to fill the menu.  

We usually stayed along the main strip for the beach (N and S Forest Road) but one time stayed back in a Plantation hotel.  You used to be able to snag awesome deals on Hotwire for a beachfront resort.  We got to stay at the Westin and Grand Marriott a few times that way but those deals done pop up much anymore.

Enjoy the van.  We have silver as well and it definitely hides the dirt well.