Great White

Water and sludge in mirrors and splash guards

I live in eastern Oregon and during the winter everything gets covered in moss and mold. I noticed that my mirrors were holding a lot of water inside the bottom and beginning to mold. While washing the van I noticed the back factory splash guards have a bad design that enables water to collect with road grime and dirt making a great home for rust. I had read something about it in an earlier post. I had 2 inches of water in the guards on the inboard side of the guard. I stuck my finger in and found no drainage holes to the outside. I drilled a 3/16" hole in the bottom of both and in the bottom of both mirrors now they drain freely and can be hosed out to prevent sludge build up. This may be a fix you would like to try. Beats rusted fender flairs.

News to me.  I'll have to check it out. Thanks

Edited by KMG

I screwed up. I meant the OUTboard side of the guard. Sorry for any confusion.

I posted about the mudflaps way back, but I think I may drill some holes in the mirror bottoms too ! If you've got one with electric mirrors, I wold think it's a must do ... My drivers mirror always spills h20 when I close the door , got to check the passenger side ...

Thanks for that tip !

Glenn

I posted about the mudflaps way back, but I think I may drill some holes in the mirror bottoms too ! If you've got one with electric mirrors, I wold think it's a must do ... My drivers mirror always spills h20 when I close the door , got to check the passenger side ...

Thanks for that tip !

Glenn

I knew I had read about the splash guards in an earlier post. I just didn't realize how much crap accumulated in that area till I checked it. Thanks for the earlier posting.