Sign in to follow this  
Michele Tarras

Debating on NV

Currently I drive a GMC3500 15 passenger. I have 10 kids, so we have some extra space. The GMC is 12 years old so looking to replace it. We tow a large trailer (3 slides, sleeps 10).

We've started to look at the NV but lack of extra space has me worried.

I have 2 rear facing car seats, 2 forward facing seats and 2 boosters. Plus it's my daily van so shopping trip stuff.

How is the seating when using all the seats? Is there really any space for stuff? And one everyone ask I'm sure has mileage I don't expect it to be good but close to my gmc).

I don't like the sprinter style at all so till I saw these it was GMC only for my family since I need at lest 12 seats. Debating on giving up 3 seats. I wish this came in a 15 passenger version then I wouldn't question getting it.

I think the NV will be tight with 10 kids including car seats.  We have 8 kids (ages 17-7 mo).

In row 1 we have a front facing booster for our 6 yr old and the rear facing for the 7 mo old.  Also, in the front row sits one of the boys (9 or 11 yr old).  I don't think you'd want a much bigger kid sitting there - not much room with the two seats.

In row 2 we have a front facing for our 3 yr old and our 15 yr old daughter sits there.  Again, not sure you could fit another bigger person in between.  Even though there are three seats, having the car seat in one and a 15 yr old in the other really doesn't leave much room.

In the last row (the 4 seat row), we have a front facing for our 5 yr old, our 17 yr old sits back there and finally one of the other boys (either the 9 or 11 yr old; which ever one is not in row 1).  Technically, that leaves 1 free seat in the last row, but again, with a 17 year old back there it is tight.  Not bad for a 1/2 day trip but if it was full time seating like that it would be too tight.

If there were no car seats you could probably fit the prescribed amount of passengers (i.e. 3-3-4) in the seats assuming they were all kids, teenagers or thin adults.  You could not fit 10 average-sized American adults in the back seats of the van and most car sets take up as much room as an adult so they eat up a lot of space.

As far as towing, you won't have any problem with that.  We had a 2009 Chevy Express 3500 with the 6.0 V8 and the Nissan will pull circles around the Chevy.  We tow a 32 bunk house camper that weighs more than 7000 lbs and you can't even feel it back there.

Storage, there is a lot of room behind the last row.  Enough for 2-weeks worth of groceries or suite cases for the family for a weekend trip so that shouldn't be a problem.

We LOVE our NV (our current 2015 is our second one) but I am afraid it might be a little tight for you.

There is no way you can pull a triple slide, large trailer AND carry your whole family and not be over payload in the van.  The tow rating companies give their vehicles is when that vehicle is empty or at most a 150# passenger along with the driver.  Every pound inside the van reduces the tow rating, doesnt matter if it is people, animals or just "stuff" you have tucked away in bins, cup holders, or packed.  

People do it all the time and many never ever have an issue.  There is safety margin built in from the manufacturer.  Just depends on how far you want to push your luck and if your luck does run out what are the consequences worth to you?  Can the NV pull it?  Sure.  A properly setup car could tow many trailers.  Should you?  Up to you.

Dont want to be a kill joy but I have personally seen overloaded vehicles break things or have nasty wrecks.  I'm friends with a guy who pulled a "half ton" towable fifth wheel camper with his Tundra.  He would always brag it towed the Space Shuttle!  It had a 10,000# rating!  Blah blah.  Well this half ton towable fifth wheel had a pin weight higher than his whole payload let alone after the heavy hitch installed and everything else.  That was empty.  He towed it just fine (with airbags since the backend was sitting on the spring stops) for over a year and said he couldnt even tell it was back there.  Two years in his transmission went out on a trip and both rear wheel bearings were so shot they scored his axle.  Toyota saw the hitch and denied warranty.  He tried fighting it with the area rep and they asked for the camper specs and found some photos he posted on FB and the forums.  Guess what?  He lost again.  Several thousand dollars in repairs.

People like to always bring up tow specs are conservative and say to look how beefy the axle and frames are on their vehicles.  Dont you think the company would love to brag their vehicle can out tow the competition?  Happens all the time with the 3 domestics and their pick-ups.  Up until recently there were no guidelines and they could brag what they wanted!  I can two 10,000... well I can tow 10,500...  etc.  There is a Reason companies give out those ratings.  

We weighted my can with people and trailer packed to make sure it was all in limits on certified scales.

With out towing how do you think it would fit. I wish a closer dealer had them in stock

We weighted my can with people and trailer packed to make sure it was all in limits on certified scales.

With out towing how do you think it would fit. I wish a closer dealer had them in stock

That is EXACTLY what all people towing should be doing unless they are way under the limits of the vehicle.  Thanks for doing that.  It is quick, easy and pretty cheap and you'll know exactly what you can tow safely.

That being said, the NV still wont have the payload of your 3500 van if you plan on towing with it full of people.  They may rate these vans as 1 tons (the 3500 HD) but vs, a true one ton vehicle they dont spec out as well.  

I only have 3 kids (all in car seats - 2 boosters and one 3-n-1) and two large dogs that weigh more than my oldest kid!  I agree with above that it would be very tight for you with that many car seats.  It would be snug without car seats!  I think you could get it to work but may not be happy with the results.  

Thanks. Guess I wait till oldest two move out or just keep with my gmc.

My dad was a truck driver and me and hubby were both military so something have been drilled in enough we always check true weight.

If you are a by a dealer that has one in stock I would definitely look at one.  I think comfort wise you need the extended wheelbase Transit if you wanted something more modern.  Those cant tow anything though even with the big Ecoboost V6 in it (only around 4400 lbs).  If you need lots of seats plus towing you're correct that the Chevy/GMC or Ford E350 would be your best bet.  

I drove a brand new E350 prior to the NV.  It may have been new but it felt very old school.  Vague steering, terrible ride, noisy, bad ergonomics, etc...  The NV feels more like a well put together large SUV.  It's solid, handles well, brakes well, has decent power and is quite comfortable.  You dont feel like you're driving a big box.

Forgot you asked about MPG - it's what you'd expect from a box with an older tech V8.  I average 14-15 mixed driving and when towing get 8-9.  Only issue when towing is the small gas tank.  180 miles and I want to find a station.  Thankfully with small kids they dont mind stopping that often or they need to by then!  Our camper is 7600 lbs loaded across a CAT scale.

I was less then impressed with the ford I tested out. The gm is nosiey thats for sure but handles well I like it more then either minivan we had before. Think if I'm right the transit is the one by think looks really weird lol

I think I have to go to the twin cities to see one in stock which is like 45 miles or so. not bad but a bit of its just to see a car since it's all 2 lane county roads not highway to get there.

Edited by Michele Tarras

My opinion- the NV is not for you, given all the possible life scenarios you need something bigger, beefier, etc. If only Nissan offered an extended 15 passenger version with a Cummins diesel!  :)