Sign in to follow this  
rolliew

Tow report 2013 2500 NV v8 - Hi top

I hitched up my 26' travel trailer and had it weighed at the state patrol.

Van front - 3,300 lbs

Van rear - 4,500 lbs

Trailer - 5,500 lbs

I then added roughly 500 lbs to van and 500 lbs to trailer for a total weight of approx. 14,300

which is 1,800 below the combined vehicle rating.

I have had the same trailer for 10 years.

First tow vehicle 2004 gmc 1500 5.3 v8 - Towed pretty well. NV tows better with slightly more power.

Second tow vehicle 2003 Duramax - Tows really well of course.

I purchased this van for over nighter's with my dirt bike, it never crossed my mind to tow anything with it until

the injectors started to fail on the duramax right before our annual central Oregon camping trip.

So I installed a brake controller and hitched up to the NV.

Towing from Vancouver WA to just south of Prineville Oregon and back, 334 miles round trip.

The first 120 miles over mount hood I got 8.3 mpg. The half ton got 10.5 and the duramax 12.5.

I was pleasantly surprised at the power going up the MT hood 6% grade. This van is geared perfectly and pulls the long hill 55mph at 3,500 rpm and stays in third gear, I could have easily towed at 60 but that would not have been safe on those turns and cliffs.

Suspension wise with the Reese dual cam weight distribution hitch this is the best rig I have owned as far as

the trailer never bounces or throws the van around, It stays really planted and there is never any surprises.

I fully endorse this rig for towing a trailer at or under 5,500 lbs. I add a lot more weight with dirt bikes, generator, firewood etc..... and this rig for me tows like a champ.

Good write up. I agree on all points. It's no HD diesel truck, but for what it is, the NV seems to tow very well and be really stable with relatively heavy trailers. Glad you enjoyed it!

Ours has been towing great.  I have a 7600 pound Toy Hauler and it pulls well.  Not quite as well as my old Tundra but well enough.  The ride is actually better with the NV vs. my truck due to the stiffer suspension and E tires.  

We just got back from a 1000 mile trip down to FL and back with the camper and all was well.  I averaged around 8mpg in the rolling hills here and it went up to 9.5 once I hit the flat roads of GA and FL.