Sign in to follow this  
Nvdad81

Sloppy steering?

I absolutely love my new nv passenger. Everything about it is better then I thought except one thing. It has taken me a little while to figure out that there is something wrong with the steering. it feels as if the steering doesn't want to correct unless I make a big correction then it seems to want to start going the other way. And if there is wind it feels like I'm swaying back and forth like a drunk person.

Is this normal? Is the nv a sloppy driving vehicle? Or did I get one that has something wrong? I can't tell if it's a problem with the steering or if it's an alignment problem.

I'm not going to say I'm an amazing driver but I have never had this much difficulty keeping a vehicle tracking straight. I've driven many different vehicles in my life from compact cars to cube vans and this is probably the worst. I really hope it's somethin that can be fixed. My wife feels the same way when she drives it so I know it's not just me.

I'm going to contact my dealer tomorrow about it.

That's a new one. I would say ours is very easy to steer and keep straight.

Even with psi way off, NVs track well. Low and high roof NVs catch a lot of cross wind, but get right back on track. Agree that this is a new one...

I'd also have to say it's a very well steering and stable van for its size. Maybe go test drive a different van to compare? Let us know...!

Ours pulled right consistently when we got it. The dealer realigned it twice and it is better, but still seems pretty sloppy to me compared to our other vehicles. When they were aligning our van, I test drove another new one and it pulled right also.

No issues with mine and I've driven a lot of vehicles.  I would get the alignment looked at by your dealer.  The steering isnt as precise as a car but it is as good as any large vehicle I have driven.  

Thanks for the info guys. I called my dealer today and they are going to look at it Saturday. I was impressed the mechanics worked on Saturday. So hopefully they can find something and fix it.

Nvdad81

So the dealer called and said that everything was fine. Of course. But I pushed for them to do an alignment and both the front tires were out. So they corrected the front tires and it seems to have made a big difference. The van still has a tendency to sway at times but now I feel like I can bring it under control much easier now. My wife agreed that it is easier to handle now.

The mechanics said that the type of gearbox used in the steering is a little sloppier than are used in their cars so it's never going to handle like a sports car. ,

Anyways as far as I'm concerned it's fixed and I really impressed with how well my dealer treated us.

I'm officially back in love with my van.

Nvdad81.

Strange indeed. Always solid steering in our van, couldn't ask for more in such a large vehicle. Thanks for the update.

Thanks for getting back on this.

You have to wonder if factory quality control decreases with increased production and long production runs. Or do they outsource this to dealers to resolve?

Do we check need a list of things before we take delivery?

Being the perfectionist I am I still felt that they van could handle better. Anyways I checked my front tire psi because an overinflated tire can cause the steering to be a bit sloppy and I found the fronts and backs to be at about 85psi. I dropped the front tires to about 60psi and bam! The steering is great! There is actually a small amount of resistance to turn the wheels which means the tire footprint is wider.

I know the door says 50 psi on the front and 80 on the back but I guess our dealer wasn't aware. Oh well to their credit our nv was the first one they sold.

I figured the 50 psi on the fronts was for ride comfort but maybe there is more to it. Maybe the nvs long snout transfers more weight off the front wheels to the back than it's gmc and ford counterparts.

Anyways still the best vehicle I have ever owned. My wife laughs at me still over how excited I am to drive it when I get the chance.

Nvdad81

Visualize a huge stack of Transforce tires on stock rims at the Canton facility all with 75+ psi because the robot or human can't take the time to match up front and rear tires. They newly built NVs are loaded onto flatbeds, or however they are transported, and delivered to commercial dealerships, who don't take the time to check the psi before they hand you the keys. It isn't just your dealership...

If other new owners experience this, they will know to check the front tires for overinflation. Thanks for the additional follow up.

I agree - dealerships should be checking but dont.  My fronts were aired up to 90 psi at delivery!  Rears were too.  My dealership sells quite a few Cargo and a decent amount of passenger NV's.  I dont think the porters that prep these for delivery know about the PSI requirements of the tires honestly.  Most of them are kids earning minimum wage just to wash them and make them look nice for delivery.  

BUT - the salesperson who usually does the delivery and goes over things Should know the requirements and it would be easy enough for them to check.  I dont think they care...  

Nvdad - your dealer messed up a few times.  They should have also checked when doing the alignment.  You cant properly align a vehicle unless the pressure is correct in the tires.  

Edited by ASD Dad