Blaine

Disable remote unlocking of side and rear cargo doors?

I have an uplift package (Locksmith from Nissan/Adrian Steel) that came with a partition. I'm interested in disabling the automatic unlock feature from the cabin door lock switches and ideally continue to allow the remote to unlock all of the doors. My concern is that if I'm carrying a lot of valuable stuff in the cargo area, I want to prevent someone from breaking one of my cabin windows and unlocking all of the doors. I'm willing to use the key to unlock both the side and rear doors if I can't get just the remote to operate all door locks.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to do this? I'm guessing I could go into the lock on each cargo area door and simply unplug whatever wiring I find, but that would also disable the remote from working as well. I consider this a design flaw from Nissan... they should at least give you an option to easily disable the electric locks for the cargo area.

Edited by Blaine

What a great question! I would think the lock control commands could be reprogrammed by the dealer, but finding a tech who would do the research necessary might be a whole other problem. I have known guys to wire a hidden toggle switch into the ignition circuit, so I'm guessing you could do the same with the door lock circuit. Now to remember to flip the toggle each time......

A Security Hasp on those doors would be another option, but with the 18V cordless reciprocating saws they have these days if somebody wants in bad enough they will get in.

A Security Hasp on those doors would be another option, but with the 18V cordless reciprocating saws they have these days if somebody wants in bad enough they will get in.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into whether there are any dealer programmable features for the locks.

I don't know if it's just me, but when I see a vehicle with one of those security hasps on the doors, it really yells out that they've got something worth stealing in the back. I'm definitely trying to avoid that route. And speaking of what you could do with today's cordless tools, it wouldn't take much to cut through the partition itself with the appropriate tool. I'm just trying to make it take more time than a minute or two to clean out my entire cargo area!

I'm just trying to make it take more time than a minute or two to clean out my entire cargo area!

I hear you. In fact I thought you brought up such an important point that I stopped by my Nissan dealer today to ask the Lead Tech to check with Nissan to see if there are any programming options.

Edited by Redshirt

I hear you. In fact I thought you brought up such an important point that I stopped by my Nissan dealer today to ask the Lead Tech to check with Nissan to see if their are any programming options.

Please keep us posted on the results!

No good news... That is not a programming option. I also tried locking the doors with the driver's window down and reaching in to hit the unlock button. It unlocked the doors. I had hoped it might set off the alarm instead. No such luck.

No good news... That is not a programming option. I also tried locking the doors with the driver's window down and reaching in to hit the unlock button. It unlocked the doors. I had hoped it might set off the alarm instead. No such luck.

Bummer. :mad:

Thanks for the update.

I might be able to find a solution. It might be similar to driver over-ride on passenger windows. If there is a single control signal for remote and door switches that would have to be split. I have the service manual and will do research as time permits.

I might be able to find a solution. It might be similar to driver over-ride on passenger windows. If there is a single control signal for remote and door switches that would have to be split. I have the service manual and will do research as time permits.

I'm interested in your findings... keep us informed.

Thanks.

If I reach in my drivers window and unlock the van, my alarm goes off. Although I had to wait 60 seconds for the alarm to arm itself.

If I reach in my drivers window and unlock the van, my alarm goes off. Although I had to wait 60 seconds for the alarm to arm itself.

Well, I learned two things... one is that I actually have an alarm, and two, my concern about someone unlocking the van and getting access to the rear cargo area is for the most part mitigated. My van didn't explicitly list an alarm as an option, although the security light does start blinking on the dash. Oddly, I never actually tested to see what the security option does.

I do still wonder if there's any difference between the alarm option offered on lower trim levels and the undocumented one that's on my van.

I tried what you suggested, that is, rolled a window down and locked the van via the remote. Once the dash light started blinking (about 30 seconds), I reached in and unlocked the door. This in itself didn't trigger the alarm. But once unlocked, opening any of the doors (including the cargo area doors) will cause the alarm to trigger. I feel much better now!

Thanks.

(deleted - replied to wrong thread)

Edited by jimgoings