Sign in to follow this  
KMG

NV Question

Did someone post awhile back a way to delete the throttle limitation under 20mph?  Is it associated with wheel spin?  Thanks, Kevin

Tuner does it. My Bullydog GT Platinum has that option to turn off the factory restriction. I believe Superchips does as well but be careful which model you chose from them. The GT works with nearly any gas motor, just need to program it from your computer with an easy download.

That was the main reason I got a tuner. The restriction when towing is borderline dangerous when trying to pull from a dead stop into traffic.

Thanks ASD Dad.  You by chance have the part/model number of what worked for you?  I live on a 55 mph highway and when I pull out the restriction causes a delay before I'm able to accelerate to highway speed.

I have the Platinum Gas 49 state model - 40417

You don't need the extra expense of the 50 state model unless you live in California and get inspected.

I bought mine from Amazon, just watched for the price to drop and snagged one. Plus the 30 day returns with no restock fee was worth it. I have a full review of the tuner along with measured gains on this site if you search. I made huge gains in acceleration times vs stock and its mainly due to that restriction.

I also live on a 55 mph street and pulling out stock was scary at times. I take the tuner off every time I take it for service and always dread it! I immediately install it when I get home. My service department actually doesn't care if I have the tuner, they have several Titan owners with tuners and I asked before I even bought mine. The issue is if they have to flash the ecu for anything at all while the ecu is flashed it will brick the tuner when it restarts. It can also mess with the ecu if the dealer flashes it while the ecu is modded. It only takes 10 minutes or so to flash the ecu back to full stock and then back to your preferred settings. All of this is in my review along with other possible issues that could arise.

I've helped 4 owners on here with the installation of a Bully Dog and all of them love it.

Not sure I understand here..... What exactly do the stock NVs limit under 20mph?

I believe it's less than 20 mph throttle response is limited by the computer.  I'm not sure how to explain but when you accelerate hard (wide open throttle) the van hesitates or doesn't increase it's effort even though you have the throttle wide open until 20 mph then it takes off normal.  Makes it real hard to win burn out contests!

andy_george, how do like your KLR 250 Dual sport?  I think thats about the size I'd like to mount to my van. 

Edited by KMG

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'll have to pay attention to see if I notice the limiter....

Love the KLR. It's no powerhouse, but it's light, dependable as gravity, comfortable enough, and cheap to find parts for since it was essentially unchanged for like 18 years or something.

Unfortunately, about 2 miles from home on a gravel road, last fall, I had a deer jump out right in front of me. I got all busted up, but healed well. Progressive insurance totaled the bike, but my brother bought it from me, fixed up up with eBay parts, and it's going strong to this day!

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'll have to pay attention to see if I notice the limiter....

Love the KLR. It's no powerhouse, but it's light, dependable as gravity, comfortable enough, and cheap to find parts for since it was essentially unchanged for like 18 years or something.

Unfortunately, about 2 miles from home on a gravel road, last fall, I had a deer jump out right in front of me. I got all busted up, but healed well. Progressive insurance totaled the bike, but my brother bought it from me, fixed up up with eBay parts, and it's going strong to this day!

Not sure I understand here..... What exactly do the stock NVs limit under 20mph?

KMG is correct and it from reports it was mainly for wheel spin control.  It is on all the 5.6L motor Nissans - Titan, Armada and our vans.  Best way to feel it in action is to just stomp on the gas from a dead stop.  Van will accelerate OK and then around the 20 mph mark will accelerate even harder.  The ECU is preventing the throttle plate from opening up 100% even with 100% input from the accelerator pedal.

When the van is empty it is noticeable but it doesnt feel too extreme.  Strap a heavy trailer to the NV and it is very noticeable.  The van bogs hard off the line before the ECU decides to let the throttle open up.  Not acceptable in my books.  Towing and then pulling out onto our main road, coming out of parking lot/gas station onto a busy road or even just trying to pull from a dead stop up a hill at a campground I want and need 100% throttle!  

Once again, it's the case of the lowest-common-denominator..... Those who don't have the brains or skills to control a vehicle under certain circumstances make it so those of us who do have the skills- still can't. This engineering is rampant in the auto industry (and I'd admit, it's not ALL bad) and looks like it will only get worse over time....

I'm putting the RV parts into my van getting ready for a trip to MN.  I have 4 100Ah batteries and a 98 quart cooler in the rear.  I really felt the restriction and I agree pulling out while towing could be scary dangerous!