Sign in to follow this  
Dave

NV1500 - almost...

Hello everyone -

I've been reading these forums as my 2003 Express 2500 has been showing signs of age. 300K can do that to a van!

I work for a motorcycle parts distributor and my van is usually full of tires, cases of oil and the occasaional 55 gallon drum. With my tranny starting to shift wierd, the rear end clunking, the side doors frozen shut years ago - common Express issue - it was getting about that time to start looking.

My tech said no to the Ford - balljoints and brakes, and my Chevy was a good truck, but the Nissan has caught my eye.

The local dealer has NV's on the lot. He has a few base 1500's that he would love to move - called them aged inventory. Of course, all in white!

I asked to take a test drive to make deliveries. 80 miles round trip on the highway. He had an Enterprise rental they just bought. I throw my stuff in it, and hit the road. NV1500 base, too.

V6 was smooth and strong. The Van was dirty, and most likely had a hard life as a rental but still went well.

Keep the tach around 2K / 65mph and I was seeing 18mpg. Did 80mph for a stretch and it dropped to 16-17.

The long hood is odd at first, but the van turns tight.

Get back, and he wants to sell a van. I really don't want a payment but who does?

He wants $19,900 for the used one I drove - 11K miles. eh.

He has on sale new ones for $22900.00. He will throw in the Nissan rubber floor mat and cruise for free. My van? $1000.00

Nissan has $700.00 for not taking any commercial packge, plus another $500.00.

I would love the 1500SV, but I want the low price. Gotta have cruise. Gotta.

I'm thinking 22K even and 2K for my van. Plus the free stuff.

He calls me last night - "What do we have to do? Where do I have to be?"

And now the struggle - do I drive my Chevy into the ground and its really worth nothing? Or do I leap now?

What happens to a 100K mile Nissan chassis? Brakes? Ball joints? Tranny? What are the common issues to this powertrain?

thx dave

I don't know that these have been out long enough for anyone to report durability issues. On the Nissan Titan forums the only item of the ones you are asking about is ball joint wear. Like the Fords they come from the factory with no grease fittings. A grease gun needle adaptor would be the workaround for that.

$1000 sounds about right for a 300K van. I can't imagine getting much more trying to sell it yourself. I wish you well in your decision!

I have the base 1500 NV, If I had to do it again would get the upgraded model with the cruise and power locks and windows, but I did find an acceptable aftermarket cruise for about 300.00, whatever they offer would suggest you get it in writing as I didnt and got screwed over a bit.

I pick it up on Monday. 23K delivered. Includes the cargo area rubber matt, all taxes and reg, floor matts, mud flaps and cruise installed.

My Express was a great vehicle but its time to move on.

Now if I could only find a nice stereo with satelite radio. Can't find anything listed for the NV!

On 7/9/2012 at 2:32 AM, Dave said:

nice stereo

Having a stereo in your RV will be a great asset. Check this guide if you are looking for a stereo.