Sign in to follow this  
BigFamilyVan

Sliding Door Squeaks and Rattles?

Anyone else having difficulty with the sliding door on the NV?

I have a 2012 3500 Passenger that has been into the dealer twice for noise. It's going back a third time.

Each time it has been serviced, the problem is cured for some amount of time afterward. The first time I had it serviced, it sounded like something was literally dangling inside the door (clunk clunk clunk). The second time around, I think the dealer lubricated the wheels that the door rides on and that seemed to do the trick. Now the door is rattling again on bumpy roads and it squeaks when the weather is damp (sounds as if the door is not tight against the weather stripping).

The vehicle has less than 10,000 miles on it. Curious to know if anyone else is having similar issues? What's the solution?

Thanks!

i had the same issue and brought it to the dealers attention but was told it's a van, it will have squeeks and rattles! Can you beleive it? I decided to spray white grease lubricant in the sliding tracks and rubber contacts, latches pretty much everywhere and problem solved. That was 2 months ago when winter arrived, seems like a temperature thing.

Yeah same trouble. LSI, can you give more detailed description (I am not yet familiar with this particular activity). If you can also message me the response, so i get a notification.

2012 Nissan NV Passenger.

Lots of trouble with the door! Door switches had problem making contact since day one (as evidenced by door locks not working, alarm going off, etc), and occasionally while sliding the door open it would make a really loud popping sound. (I later found that his was an improperly tightened bolt on the upper roller, and every time the bolt slipped a bit it would make the noise.) When I brought it to the dealer the first time, they succeeded in stripping out the Torx heads on the bolts, getting my carpet greasy, and replacing the scary popping noises (from the upper dovetail) with clunky rattling noises from a loose door. I bought the factory service manual, and found that every spec is out of adjustment (measurements of the gaps between the door and the body). However, the factory service manual does not offer a correction or adjustment for these items, only a procedure for adjusting the dovetail, switch, and lock assembly. In a nutshell, that procedure is to loosely-loosen everything, then open and close the door a few times, then retighten everything (making sure that it didn't move after closing the door). This made the noises go away, but the electrical contacts never fit. To make the door fit better, you need some tension on the upper dovetail, which causes annoying noises.

The second trip, dealer left it in this state: the electrical works now (they also replaced the switch assembly), but I still hear popping from the upper dovetail, particularly when first starting to move. I don't dare to adjust it myself yet, because I can ignore the noises from the upper dovetail (since I understand their nature), but want my doors to lock, and don't want to work on it myself if I'm going to push Nissan to fix it.

I'm currently on vacation with the family and have 10k miles on it. So far the noises have been noticed independently by my wife and her mother (yesterday and today). My comment? "I don't hear it, but I'm glad to hear you do, it's a van, live with it"

I might take it back, that's actually why I was searching this forum.

Oh yeah, the A/C went out completely at 5k miles. That brought me back to the dealer!

Also had a bit of trouble with the CD/USB playing back randomly, but that got fixed.

Also had a problem with the map lights, which required replacement of the entire roof liner!

Love the van though!

p.s. don't bring this van to downtown San Francisco, you'll leave paint behind, and valets will cringe!

Mine was making noice when cold wheather. I have fixed it my self. There are two centering pins, one at the top and one at the bottom not the one in the middle that locks the door. The one at the bottom of mine was not centered and it was rubing metal to metal. Renoved the screws and centerd it. I hope this helps.

Bobby.

Mine rattles lightly when it's cold out , I applied silicone spray to the rubber weather strips and it shuts just a tick tighter , noises gone .:)

Glenn

My dealer (or rather the body shop they sent it to) fixed the connectors on the sliding door by putting a 1/8" washer behind the screws and sealing with caulk.  Works every time now!

I brought some white all  purpose grease from auto parts store (comes in a can) and greased the roller track at the top (liberally) and the door connector points.  (the female points on the frame) and that takes away the noise for a month (thumping and rattling). I am not sure why. I just followed a post/advice. I think it may actually cause a buffer in the door track, since it is pretty thick stuff.. However, the grease eventually dries up after a month and you need to reapply. I understand it is not intended to be the most refined, sophisticated vehicle, but a workhorse. However, the nature of the problem is more a result of a little sloppiness in the design. A couple of millimeters off the track width would have solved the problem with a tighter fit for the roller. Still like the vehicle but there are some annoying quirks for sure.