yjmoose89

Who knew there would be so many added expenses?

Happy new owner of a 2018 NV 3500 SL

I am pretty happy to not be the mechanic In Charge for the next 100,000 miles! I haven’t had a “new” family cruiser in a while, we had bought used and that hasn’t always worked out for us. I am fairly handy but definitely not an ASE mechanic, think shade tree mechanic.

I was excited on the drive home until I remembered the things I will need to add.

Brake controller (thinking redarc)

DVD players (for the kids on the long drives)

Roof rack (to haul kayaks and or bikes)

Snow tires (wife is convinced we have to have snow tires)

It’s starting to add up!

Anyway, this forum seems like a wealth of info so thank you

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure how much of that is "needed" vs. any other new vehicle.  

Brake controller - needed if you tow, need that on any vehicle you are going to tow.

DVD - ? - we traveled coast to coast this summer (13 states visited) over 2-1/2 weeks with 3 kids under 11.  Had no electronics in the vehicle for them and didnt need them.

Rack - several options from crazy expensive to pretty cheap (Aluminess to DIY).

Snow tires - Definitely recommended where you live.  I Hated the stock Firestones, they had no traction in wet conditions let alone snow.

Welcome to the club!  There are some start up costs with any new vehicle, but I see some places to save money in your list.

Roof racks can be helpful, but I see them as a last resort for cargo.  They raise the center of gravity, add wind noise, and can be awkward to access.  Since you want a brake controller, you must be planning on towing.  Can you put your cargo in the trailer instead of using a roof rack?  Or, if you don't need all 12 seats, remove half of the 4th row to provide lots of cargo space.

If you really want DVD players, get the cheapest portable ones you can find.  Don't bother with the expensive built-in players unless you plan on using them on a daily basis.  The portable ones are great for occasional long trips, plus you can use them in hotel rooms if you want.  You may be able to save even more money by buying inexpensive tablets (e.g. Kindle Fire on sale) instead of DVD players.  When we go on long trips, we bring 1 or 2 tablets or DVD players for the youngest children, and the older kids read books.

I agree with the snow tires.  You'll appreciate those.  If you don't want to buy them right away, at least get some tire chains to keep in the van.

You should consider adding running boards.  They make it a lot easier for shorter people to get in and out.  There's a pretty big price range on those.  I got the cheapest ones available and they've worked out well so far.  Some people carry a folding step stool in the van instead.  Keep in mind that running boards will reduce your ground clearance, but it's not a problem if you plan on staying on the road.

Edited by Mark Rogers

Welcome. Did you tow with your Suburban? If so, you will have to post a comparison review.

Yes we tow either a 30 foot travel trailer or a 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer. We towed a fare amount, nothing crazy maybe a total of 15,000 miles between the previous suburbans. I will post a review after the first tow. I hate putting bikes in the travel trailer, that is why I am curious about roof mount. My wife is on the short side at 5’2”. She says she doesn’t want running boards so I am good with that, but thanks for the suggestion.

I am trying to avoid the snow tires but it seems inevitable.

After 62k on the oem Firestone tires, we went with Michelin Defender M+S. Quiet and good so far on all types of surfaces. 12k on them. Only issue reported was low mileage. Not really an issue in AZ as heat will take its toll on them with plenty of tread left.

Edited by radin2son

Welcome to the forum. Mod bug is pretty unkind to your bank account. If your mod ends with a brake controller, DVD player, and a set of snow tires, you will be in a good shape. Most of us don't have that sort of discipline.

Chphilo I see what your saying, haven’t gotten any mods done and already thinking about some sort of roof rack for bikes and kayaks.

On my third NV (2013, 2015 and 2018 two weeks ago).  I live in North Central Ohio and have never felt the need for snow tires.  We get lots of snow and the van seems to handle just fine to me.

You are going to love the NV!!