irv

Quick and dirty NVP platform bed.

Hello, I thought I’d share my NV Passenger quick, semi-temporary platform bed project. I’m going desert camping with the wife and kids this weekend and I wanted a backup just in case the tent gets too hot. I used some 2x3s, plywood, and screws I already had. Total cost is around $50-60 if I had to buy all the materials.

I went with 2x3s (instead of 2x4s) since they’re cheaper, lighter, and take up less space. But downside is most of the 2x3s at Home Depot are terrible since they’re cut from smaller and usually inferior logs.

I encountered some minor issues with the NVP’s floor being uneven and the plastic side panels having additional curves. I ended up just doing basic cuts and then marking lines directly on the wood based on how I want the frame to sit inside the van instead of making thorough plans or getting precise measurements. In hindsight I should’ve left a bit more gap from the side to the plywood which I cut at 68” wide and proved to be a really tight fit and scratched some plastic panels (my van is old and already scratched inside though).

Pics show the work in progress from this morning. Basic but t should fit my needs :)

post-3045-0-63985500-1556762325_thumb.jpg

post-3045-0-68311500-1556762399_thumb.jpg

post-3045-0-37598600-1556762414_thumb.jpg

post-3045-0-54840900-1556762525_thumb.jpg

Edited by irv

Looks good. Have a great trip and post some photos.

You may want to check out Skeeterbeater screens for driver/passenger doors and the rear door. Cargo vans have enough metal to attach the rear door screen and be able to close the doors. Our NV doesn’t and we have to remove the screen...

I like the rear view camera in the last photo.  What kind is it?

I like the rear view camera in the last photo.  What kind is it?

Good eye for spotting that small thing :) It's the camera for my rear view screen/mirror. I couldn't see much through the NVP's rear view mirror so I got this Junsun rear view mirror screen and dash cam on Amazon for $69 ($79 but there was a coupon on the product page). I was really going to get a dash cam for the NV, so the extra cost to get this with the rear camera and mirror screen wasn't too bad. I mounted the camera using the brake light screw because I didn't want to drill a new mounting point.

Looks good. Have a great trip and post some photos.

You may want to check out Skeeterbeater screens for driver/passenger doors and the rear door. Cargo vans have enough metal to attach the rear door screen and be able to close the doors. Our NV doesn’t and we have to remove the screen...

Thanks for the tip with the screens, my wife had a pair of cheap sheer curtains that I was able to use by shutting the doors on them and using magnetic tool/knife holders to hold the panels in place. No mosquitoes where we camped but lots of moths that the curtains were able to keep out. My kids appreciated it! Grabbed some mattress toppers, sheets, and pillows from the house too lol.

post-3045-0-34177100-1557218120_thumb.jpg

post-3045-0-54967900-1557218131_thumb.jpg

post-3045-0-27417000-1557219425_thumb.jpg

post-3045-0-15412600-1557219454_thumb.jpg

Edited by irv

Great photos. Like the shelter you made.

I haven’t looked at the Skeeterbeater site in a long time. We bought screen material (just the right width for side and back doors) and magnets to made our own side door screen. The magnets you used may work better. At one point, Skeeterbeater had plans to market these through Walmart. NV side and rear doors are probably too specific for this.

The curtains you used offer some privacy at least until you turn on an interior light.

In addition to all the light seeking bugs, we only had minor issues with bees and wasps. One huge mosquito...