Footer10

rear or side tent for NV Passenger

Wanting to do some light camping in an NV and have been looking at several brands of tents that attach (and seal) to the rear of an SUV or minivan. But not sure any of them are big enough to go around an NV. Anyone have experience with trying to attach one of these tents. Actually think I'd prefer attaching to the side sliding door because of the lower step...and needs to have a decent seal to keep out mosquitoes.

Saw a couple posts about awnings, but no answers to anything about tents that seal to the rear or side slider.

Wanting to do some light camping in an NV and have been looking at several brands of tents that attach (and seal) to the rear of an SUV or minivan. But not sure any of them are big enough to go around an NV. Anyone have experience with trying to attach one of these tents. Actually think I'd prefer attaching to the side sliding door because of the lower step...and needs to have a decent seal to keep out mosquitoes.

Saw a couple posts about awnings, but no answers to anything about tents that seal to the rear or side slider.

https://realtruck.com/c/exterior-accessories/truck-tents/v/nissan/nv/ These guys claim to have some.

We considered attaching our screen room to the side door side. Concluded it wouldn’t work due to the open door and trying to seal it around the door mechanism. Hard enough with the “Skeeterbeater” screen we made. Fortunately mosquitoes aren’t that smart to find lower gaps.

Rear door access may work if the tent is tall enough. You can solve the step up issue with a step that slides into the hitch receptor.

Then there are weather issues and why would you want this over a stand alone tent. If the parking pad is large enough, you will be set up on pavement etc. Tent pads are better and we set up our screen room there. If you are dispersed camping this would not be an issue other than there may be a better area to pitch a tent than where you are parked.

I would see it work well on beaches with vehicle access.

Let us know how this works out...

I added the ARB awning and tent this summer. Being our van is now about 4" taller fitting the tent around the door was a bit tricky but is worth it. Having an area to put gear and dress was really nice. I mounted the awning to the roof mounts temporally to use this summer but I am building a roof rack to make it fit better. 

20200711_120851.jpg

20200711_120830_HDR.jpg

20200711_120842.jpg

20200710_201822_HDR.jpg