Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

Travel apps

One thing about targeted ads or apps, they sometimes get it right. The App Store recently came up with these.

Chimani National Parks. Families with kids will love this, as you can track the parks, monuments or historic sites etc you visit. You get a badge and points for each visit by year, past and present. More points for current visits (check ins). There are also perk savings.

iNaturalist. (National Geographic). Take a photo with this app and it will tell you what it is. It works.

Peak Visor. With cell service or downloaded maps it will provide you with Mountain names and elevation. Also has a compass. We have not tried this.

REI Parks has added more parks and monuments. Works on GPS.

I believe all work with android.

Happy Holidays and enjoy your 2020 trips.

Thanks for the apps.  I use Picture This or something close that is very similar to iNaturalist.  It does work really well but I will try this one to compare.

Chimani and REI both look like fun apps.  We are in the middle of finalizing another two plus week trip out west for this upcoming summer.  This time we are heading more North vs. staying along the southern states.  We wont make it all the way to the Pacific again due to time but plan on places like Yellowstone of course.  Yellowstone is our current nemesis with prices and dealing with getting around for at least a couple of days.  The rest of the trip was easy. 

Assume you are talking your Sienna so no need to park your RV. Try staying in the Grand Tetons or Jackson. We camped at Signal Mountain but they also have a lodge. Not cheap I imagine. We commuted to Yellowstone for a day trip before heading north through Mammoth Hot Springs. If we could afford it, we would taken a tour in the 1920s yellow buses. As it turned out, our day trip was cold, windy and sometimes wet. No traffic. On the way out the weather was perfect; the traffic was awful.

We also are planning a trip. Bad Lands and maybe east to states we have never been.

Edited by radin2son

We are taking the Sienna, no camper this trip like last trip.  Too much driving and setup time needed for camping.  We looked at the Grand Tetons and some of the hotels were half the price of West Yellowstone or North.  We were worried about drive times during June.  We planned on 2-3 days in Yellowstone.  Figure it would be a really really long drive from Tetons up to the areas kids would want to see like Faithful and the hot springs.  

I truly cant believe they can charge $300/nt or more for a little 2* hotel around Yellowstone but I guess its just that popular.  Makes our trips to Disney look like a giant bargain and I NEVER imagined I would say that...  

We were there in early June and drive times weren