Sign in to follow this  
andy_george

Roush/Nissan testing my van

Back in May I got a letter from Roush Industries Near Detroit.  They are big over there and do a lot of work for OEM’s, specialty parts, etc.  Anyways, they said they were doing research on Nissans behalf to test emissions of used Nissan Products.  They asked if I’d be interested to let them take my van for around 10 days and run emissions tests on it to see how it performed.  I’d get a loaner during that time, $500, and the van would be returned washed, vacuumed, and full of fuel.  Very fortunately, my brother is an engineer for the EPA, and confirmed that OEM’s do indeed do spot checks such as this.  The EPA also does their own, through other avenues.

So today I got a call from Roush.  Asked if I was still interested, asked some basic questions, wanted to know if I was definitely the original owner, miles (83,000),  how we use it, etc.  So next Tuesday they’ll come take the van and bring it back in about 2 weeks.  He said the loaner would be a Nissan family vehicle with a passenger capacity of at least 6 (the size of our family).  I’ve got my fingers crossed for an Infinity QX80! ????

I was worried about any abuse possible and my brother said it would all be simple dyno runs simulating real world conditions. He put my mind at ease.  So I’ll enjoy the $500, a couple weeks in a different vehicle (but I’ll love getting the NV back, for sure!) and I’m glad I can help Roush/Nissan get their work done ✅.

Funny. You haven’t had any issues with emissions... I wonder what other data they will collect. 

I’ll look for your van being flat bedded to Mexico. 

Lol, I should insure it for $50k just to be sure lol.  

I’m pretty sure they just have to be sure the emissions equipment is still keeping levels within EPA allowances for in-use vehicles.  Because the EPA can grab any vehicle in the country and if they find it’s spewing more emissions than allowed the automaker is going to have lots of explaining to do.  

For instance the defeat-devices found on VW diesels and a few other automakers in recent years. 

Got the van back yesterday!  It was only gone a week.  And they put many fewer miles on it than I did on the replacement GMC Acadia Denali they gave me ??.  Tank filled, vacuumed, clean exterior, and $500 cash.   Thanks Roush/Nissan!  Glad I could help!  

Had my NV3500 done last week. Told me it would take 2-3 weeks. Started calling them after 4 weeks and never answered their phones. 6 weeks later they finally called me back and wanted to bring it over that afternoon. When we got it back the next day it looked like the hood was about to fall off and it was missing the being cover. None of the reps will answer their phones and of course I signed the return docs to release them if responsibility never again. The drivers were very responsible and professional but my vehicle is missing parts and I’m sol to fix it now myself. Not worth the hassle and the mileage they put on my vehicle for $400.