NWMI

Want to buy a pre 2016 hightop. need input.

Hi, im in the position where my business needs to purchase a van.   Shore and sweet are are the points

budget is pre 2016 post 2012 and earlier

I hear the Dodge Promaster is plagued with engine and transmission issues and electrical issues 

I get contradicting reports the transit is good and bad. regarding models 2016 and earlier.

the mercedes vans are high mile and cost too much and many say they are overrated.

the brings me tot he NV cargo. some say they are great and do not have a history of catastrophic failure such as trans and eng. 

Looking for 50,000-90,000 miles '12-'16 high top.

regarding the nissan nv 2500 high top, is there anything I need to run from besides general new england rust.?  thanks   

There is very little difference between 2012-16 NVs. Few recalls (occurred long ago) and few reports of major problems, at least on this forum. MPG has been an issue for some, but the 2500 gives you a choice of V6 or V8. Depends on your need. 

Carfax should give you lots of choices and prices. I wouldn’t rule out high mileage NV V8s provided you can come up with service records. Check out the “Above and Beyond” Nissan video. 500,000 miles... A commercial manager in NC took a trade in with 300,000 miles. Ran great but who could he sell it to to make the typical dealer profit? 

I would also make sure it will pass emissions. 2 reports of failed catalytic converters. The first reported it would run $1500. In the second instance the dealer worked a deal. Smart since the owner has a large fleet. Other emissions issues have been nagging. I had to replace or fix a sensor. Chose to have dealer fix it and Nissan paid for this even though out of warranty. There was a documented history of problems  under warranty. 

Edited by radin2son

I bought our 2014 Nissan high roof with 15,000 miles and I'm at 75,000 now. It's been a brilliant, reliable vehicle. The only issues have been about doors. The slider has had a few times when it wouldn't open... turned out to be the connections on the doorjamb which. I think they placed washers behind, to make the contact point on the door nearer. The rear doors had a few "stuck" issues but it's been years since either. Last, there can be water intrusion. We've had some leaks but in 27 cars I've owned, and lots of Toyotas, I feel this is the most dependable. 

Unless you find a real lemon, I’d have to agree that you’d be happiest with the NV, from a dependability standpoint.  They’re really solid, issues seem to be few and far between, and when they do arise the NV is usually easier to repair than the unibody euro vans.