Sign in to follow this  
Jg2fly

Nissan NVP Sonar question

Looking through the forum I have not been able to find a solution to having a bull bar on the front of my van but also retaining the front sonar useablitily. Can you just extend it and put new holes in the Bull bar? If so how are they mounted in the bumper? Can you just disable the middle two sensors? 

Thanks

You will have to move the sensors to the bull bars the way various after market, off road bumper manufacturers have done. The sensors clip/snap into place and can be removed. If you break the plastic, the sensor cannot be held in place. Cheap part that is expensive to replace. 

Good question. If the outside sensors don’t see the bull bar, they should work. If you move the middle sensors so they clear the bull bar, I would think it would work. Disconnecting one or more won’t work. 

Edited by radin2son

Thanks @radin2son

Have you removed them before? Is there a good way do it without breaking the plastic? I noticed it is pretty tight in there with the middle 2 sensors, do you have to remove the bumper to get enough room to take them out?

No, someone hit the rear bumper pushing the sensor in side the bumper, breaking the plastic. Had to order the part and dealer popped it in when they did an oil change. I did have rear bumper damage (my fault) repaired and the sensors were removed and replaced. Same sensors. 

Have you tried masking the middle sensors to see what happens? Probably nothing!  All 4 have to be working. But, I have always wondered if the sensor can be rotated directing the “sonar” away from the bull bar. Some had problems with the front license plate. Others had no problems. Same sensor, different angle? 

I would check youtube to see if there is a NV or Titan specific video.

Repair pal doesn’t offer a lot of help, but implies you will have to remove the front bumper if you cannot get to the clip or retainer on the back of the sensor. 

Edited by radin2son