klmlb

Add Auxiliary Fuel Port? (for heater)

I'm creating plans to convert a Nissan NV2500/3500 into a camper van and that hopefully includes adding an air top heater (Espar/Webasto) in the living area.  These are run on 12V power and efficiently use either gasoline or diesel to burn the fuel in a combustion chamber and then blow the hot air into the space.  I'd rather not have a separate fuel tank for the heater.

So, I checked with a nearby Nissan dealership service center to see if there was an existing auxiliary fuel port on the fuel tank (as a Sprinter van has for example) and, sadly, there is not one.  So, I was wondering if anyone on the forum has ever taken a vehicle to an auto shop service center to have an auxiliary fuel port fabricated on the factory fuel tank.  Who would you even explore to ask to reliable do such a thing?

The other option I was thinking of would be to put in a small tank (5 gallon or so) underneath the vehicle and drill small holes for the fuel line (you have to drill out the intake and exhaust holes in the floor anyways for the heater itself).  However, the thing I can't quite wrap my head around would how I would fill a tank that's mounted underneath.  

Does anyone on the forum have thoughts or experience in either?  Any input would be appreciated.  

Thank you!

I don’t recall anyone on this site installing a furnace in a diy conversion. The most recent NV for sale on conversiontrader.com did have an Espar/Webasto furnace, but it apparently sold quickly for $30k. One of 2 remaining NVs has an Atwood furnace. You may want to email the owner to see why. 

Hey there,

The campervan radin2son was talking about is actually mine!

Theres only a number of NV's in the country that have installed them and actually one of them at a van builder did it incorrectly.

I did mine myself with the intention of doing a write up for this site. I'll see if I can attach photos.

But I purchased a Webasto STC and installed it under the passenger seat (yes I also have a swivel so it'll fit no problem). You will have to remove the sliding tray mount to make room for it. 

Remove the seat and fold back the carpet. There will be a somewhat large flat spot you can install it in.

You will not need a bracket or gasket doing it this way since its direct mount to the metal floor.

You will drop the gas tank which is held by 2 tank straps. Make sure you drive until empty when you do this or close to it, I was able to do it at 1/8th but it was a heavy sob.

Once dropped I cleaned the outside of the tank and remove the sending unit. Look at the pictures and see where I installed the tap. I believe this to be the only spot on the sending unit.

Do not use the tap that comes with the webasto, its meant for metal tanks. Also dont drill the plastic gas tank, it will lead to cracking in the future.

Update Dec 2021: I see a lot of people overthinking this install and not understanding that it fits or needing more pictures.

I do not own the van anymore but the pictures are fairly straight forward.

This is a gas model Webasto installed under the passenger seat, also under the swivel seat. No clearance issues.

I found the flattest spot where the surface area of Webasto exhaust could fit. You can see its towards the middle/transmission tunnel of the van but still in that belly area underneath the passenger seat..

Air intake is pointing towards the dashboard.

You have to scrape the floor deadening off with something like a flathead and hammer. 

Match up the top area where you'll drill with the underside to double check you won't drill into anything. There's isn't really much in that area.

The Webasto comes with all necessary instructions. Use the rubber grommet that installs onto the exhaust for a stencil to drill the holes.

Hit the fresh metal with some white paint after cutting holes and install the heater. 

You'll need fuel grade hose for the heater to run it into the sending unit of the fuel tank. I also wrapped my hose in a higher temp plastic conduit to protect from any road debris.

I ran my fuel line with the fuel pump down the passenger frame rail, across the frame/transmission support area, then down the driver side frame rail.

Fuel pump was installed on the driver side within the required distance from the tank.

When in doubt read the instructions or find a sprinter heater install for a cross reference. 

60385626770__C3F4FA2B-51FC-4703-80B4-B52213739274.JPG

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 5.58.04 PM.png

IMG_0544.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 5.57.43 PM.png

Edited by GoNV

Were you selling and pulled it, or did you buy? A lot of good things in the conversion. 

Only 2 of the photos opened or I couldn’t get the slide show to work. 

Yeah I pulled it, I'm still thinking about selling it because I wanted to build another but its too good to let go and I'm feelin pretty lazy right now haha.

You should be able to click and download the other images. Theres 4 total.

All 4 images showing.

Wow outcruzin!  Thank you so much for the info and the pictures!  

Amazing work.  Awesome.  I can't imagine how many hours to do it, but this is quality work done right.

From the metal tap into the fuel assembly, you said not to drill in the plastic since it will crack later on.  How did you insert the metal tap?  Is the rubber tubing simply clamped on the bottom side of the fuel assembly "ceiling"?

Thank you!

49 minutes ago, klmlb said:

Wow outcruzin!  Thank you so much for the info and the pictures!  

Amazing work.  Awesome.  I can't imagine how many hours to do it, but this is quality work done right.

From the metal tap into the fuel assembly, you said not to drill in the plastic since it will crack later on.  How did you insert the metal tap?  Is the rubber tubing simply clamped on the bottom side of the fuel assembly "ceiling"?

Thank you!

I was saying you shouldn't drill the tank because if there's any issues you'd have to replace the whole tank instead of the sending unit, plus it can lead to cracking. So install it into the sending unit. If you look at my picture that was the best spot that didn't interfere with any wires or the metal plate that sits on top of the sending unit.

Also you'll need to order a webasto fuel tap like the one in the picture. The one that comes with the heaters are meant for big rigs.

8 hours ago, outcruzin said:

I was saying you shouldn't drill the tank because if there's any issues you'd have to replace the whole tank instead of the sending unit, plus it can lead to cracking. So install it into the sending unit. If you look at my picture that was the best spot that didn't interfere with any wires or the metal plate that sits on top of the sending unit.

Also you'll need to order a webasto fuel tap like the one in the picture. The one that comes with the heaters are meant for big rigs.

Makes sense!  Thank you very much.  Yes, I can see now how that spot is the cleanest spot to install.  Very nice install.

Do you recall if the part is threaded or smooth?

I went to Webasto's accessory catalog and will continue to look for that part, but can't find it yet.

https://www.webasto.com/fileadmin/webasto_files/documents/international/hd/catalogues/heavy-duty-heating-accessories-catalog.pdf

There is a part (order number 1322827A) that is similar (not a solid stub piece like yours), but a right angle steel piece that says is made for plastic or metal tanks.  (pdf page 7, manual page 13 bottom right).  It doesn't have the large stub look that you have (which seems more stable and less likely to "move" or "twist").  I can try to call them to see if they still sell the part you have.

Again, many thanks.  You have no idea how much I appreciate your response.

Edited by klmlb
add link

3 hours ago, klmlb said:

Makes sense!  Thank you very much.  Yes, I can see now how that spot is the cleanest spot to install.  Very nice install.

Do you recall if the part is threaded or smooth?

I went to Webasto's accessory catalog and will continue to look for that part, but can't find it yet.

https://www.webasto.com/fileadmin/webasto_files/documents/international/hd/catalogues/heavy-duty-heating-accessories-catalog.pdf

There is a part (order number 1322827A) that is similar (not a solid stub piece like yours), but a right angle steel piece that says is made for plastic or metal tanks.  (pdf page 7, manual page 13 bottom right).  It doesn't have the large stub look that you have (which seems more stable and less likely to "move" or "twist").  I can try to call them to see if they still sell the part you have.

Again, many thanks.  You have no idea how much I appreciate your response.

When in doubt use eBay!

This is the one i ordered. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Webasto-Eberspacher-Heater-Part-Universal-Fuel-Tank-Stand-Pipe/192623638065?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You can shop around and find others that are similar designs also.

You should put loctite on the threads for it and you'll have to trim it to be shorter since they come universal.  

6 hours ago, outcruzin said:

When in doubt use eBay!

This is the one i ordered. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Webasto-Eberspacher-Heater-Part-Universal-Fuel-Tank-Stand-Pipe/192623638065?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You can shop around and find others that are similar designs also.

You should put loctite on the threads for it and you'll have to trim it to be shorter since they come universal.  

Outcruzin - you are a scholar and a gentleman sir!  ?

@GoNV thanks for this very crisp writeup!  

How has the performance of the 2000 STC been?  

I went with an Eberspacher/Espar Airtronic M2 B4L heater.  Mostly bc I found a local place that installs and services this brand in many big rigs and reefers.  Would have preferred to install myself but I don't have a garage to fit this beast in and the install was reasonable enough. ( I'll also be glad to have a shop that can competently repair and fetch parts if needed)   The M2 B4L does cost a pretty penny v. the Webasto STC2000.  

It's been a great heater so far, probably overkill for a regular or high roof van but I like the output level for an uninsulated pop top that goes winter camping in Montana.    Still figuring out the Easy Start controller and getting a handle on the electrical usage of the unit but happy to have a cozy, dry van to camp in.