JoshNV

Need help, ANY owner, please!

I have a strange request I suppose. I need to see visually where 13' ends up from the rear bumper / hitch to the front. I know it should overhang the windshield some. I need to see exactly where marked (tape, hand, whatever) on the hoodline of the vehicle.

I am asking because I need to mount a 13' long box on the top of a NV, possibly a highroof model and want to get an idea of what it will look like and how much roof space will be holding it. The box with roof rack will be around 400lbs.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Hi there,

I have a low roof model but 13 feet from the rear hitch will be just short of the windshield at the center of the vehicle. It is right at the seams in the A pillars. I'll grab a picture tomorrow.

13 feet is just short of the windshield at the top. IE Your 13 foot mystery object will not overhang the windshield at the center assuming you have it flush with the rear hitch.

If you have your roof payload flush with the top of the van at the back, I'm guessing you will overhang the front by about 8 inches or so. This is all relative to a low roof model. A high roof van has a much smaller "flat" area on the top of the roof, due to the angled portion of the bulkhead. I have some poor photos I'll attempt to post...

NV Front 13 feet from Hitch

NV REAR 13 feet from hitch

Edited by sampson

No problem Josh, happy to help.

Now for the question we all want answered... What are you planning for the roof? I'm secretly hoping it is a 400 pound, 13 foot long Hershey bar  ;)

Good luck!

hershey NV

Edited by sampson

i would not want to mount anything to the roof of a high top... they are already top heavy enough i cant imagine adding more weight to the roof.

i would not want to mount anything to the roof of a high top... they are already top heavy enough i cant imagine adding more weight to the roof.

No problem Josh, happy to help.

Now for the question we all want answered... What are you planning for the roof? I'm secretly hoping it is a 400 pound, 13 foot long Hershey bar  ;)

Good luck!

You can mount up to 300lbs. Most of the vehiciles weight is still low, raising the roof does not add much more top weight, the main concern isn't the weight on top, running with 1,000lbs up there is probably doable so long as you are always aware. Consider the weight of 1ft of snow and driving around with that on top your roof. It wouldn't likely be noticable. The main concern is how well the roof is built for it and (for me) how easy it is to access. I think the 300lb limit is probably extremely conservative as they usually are. I wouldn't be surprised if it could handle well over 1,000.

The object up top is going to be a telescoping mast that is 1'x1'x13' and inside its box weighs about 410lbs and has to sit on a rack. It slides back and pivots onto the tow hitch mount. It looks like I couldn't go with the high roof even if I wanted because the pivot point would be too high to really be able to bring the mast down on my own easily.

I wanted the HR model so that I could practically live in it if I had to and was considering RVing it. So now I am going to have to figure out a way to convert the rear of the standard model into something I can almost live in for a week or so at a time.

So ... is this for NSA surveillance , or a small rocket launcher ? or just a portable stripper pole ?

Just had to ask :) 

It's for a kickstarter.com project actually :P I'll let you all know if and when I do it.

I should say, I am now considering the Mercedes Sprinter.

=O

i see your in PA too, be careful when buying a sprinter. they have an extemely high maintnece cost, not to mention they have severe rust issues. an sprinter that is 5+ years old will have signifigant amounts of rust on the body and frame.

Also, the diesel fuel is more expensive, and the oil change for a diesel is more expensive. would stay away from them. IMO

I don't have to buy it from PA, I can take a trip. I may buy it new if the funding permits anyhow. MPG is fairly high on the 02-06 model making them well worth buying considering I may rack up 50k miles or more the first year owning it. From what I have read so far the maintence isn't bad at all and they have a good reliable track record, fairly common to see 500,000 miles or more on them.

In the end the total budget really will decide. If It's too low it will likely be an older used GMC van, mid level funding a used NV or used 02-06 sprinter and high level funding a new Sprinter.

i got my NV as a left over brand new for 24k before tax and tag.. thought it was a great deal, was cheaper then the new comparable ford and GM vans

Not bad. The 02-06 sprinter gets like 24mpg which would really, really cut my costs down. It's all a touch choice. There are things I love about all the vehicles.

yeah and the NV drives the best... i have driven everytype of fullsize van GM, Ford, sprinters, (currently own an econoline also)  and the nissan without a doubt drives the best... the V8 is plenty powerful, handles great, rides great and it is the most comfy out of them all. as for the reliability, not sure. time will tell.