MilesD

Plasti-dip for mirrors, handles, badges - how long will it last?

So I was too cheap to spend the $2500 the dealer wanted to black out the chrome on my new NV.  Then I found some youtube tutorials on plasti-dipping badges.  It seemed easy enough and for a $6 can what do I have to lose.  It came out nice enough.  Now I'm just wondering how long it will last.  Also wondering if the dealer would have used essentially the same thing or used something sturdier. 

IMG_1748.HEIC

I think it will last you quite a while. I used plasti-dip on my Wife’s CRV winter wheels.... a steel set we bought off some local classifieds. I didn’t like the stock gray so I sprayed them black, and they’ve held up to 3 nasty Michigan winters amazingly well.  

I’m not sure what the dealer would have used, but since you can redo it over 400 times and still come out money ahead I’d say you made a wise choice ??

-Andy 

I have peeling clear coat on my hood, the previous owner must've used dish washing soap as windshield washer fluid ? I don't think I could DIY paint it properly, I was wondering if plastidip could be an alternative? I've also been thinking about DIY vinyl wrapping, at least both options probably won't be permanent if I botch it, but hopefully durable enough to look decent and provide some protection. Do you think it could work?

I have a good friend who did vinyl on the front fenders of his older Dodge truck.  I’m amazed at how good it looked and how well it’s stayed on over the years.  

Nice, that's good to hear. I might just give it a try, a few years is pretty good for a non-permanent fix! That it not only protects the surface and actually looked good is encouraging as well. Thanks for sharing.