Sign in to follow this  
andy_george

No more NV?? ?

A report from Autoblog indicates that the end could be near for the NV.   I truly hope it’s not the case.  But given the seriousness of Nissans global situation and the fact that the NV isn’t selling super well with no serious updates on the horizon lead me to think there may be some truth to this rumor.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/08/nissan-to-kill-nv-vans/

Nissan must be following the GM strategy. Finally get it right and dump it. 

When I took our NV in for the airbag recall, I saw 8 “working” cargo vans. This didn’t include the one in front of me when I got in line for service. There also was a used hightop on the lot for $20k. 

I saw Scotty Kilmer talking about the end of Nissan Vans as well. Too bad the NV vans are solid. Gotta hang on to my NV, I hope it lasts for a few hundred thousand miles more!

According to a Motor trend article (8/12), NVs will continue into 2021, unchanged. They didn’t  even have to change the photo. 

Titan also continues in 2021 getting more power, a 9 speed transmission and improved multimedia. Is that important?

MT likes the new Frontier.  

It will be if Nissan bucks the trend and lets the good stuff trickle down into the van platform.  Pickups are the profit centers for most outfits and they are hesitant to compete against themselves.

I was talking with a Nissan dealer and they stated production on the NV will end Summer 2021. The dealer said that his last day to order cargo vans was in November, but he was unsure if he could still order passenger models. Also about the Titan, the reason that Nissan dropped the diesel was because Nissan did not meet the purchase quota for engines from Cummins. Sounds like Nissan corporate dropped the ball from what the dealer was explaining, apparently the dealers as a whole were asking for the diesel in the NV and corporate didn't want to take a chance on it. Lost opportunity in my opinion. 

So is it dumb to buy one now? Are parts going to be scarce if a feller wanted to buy one and keep it a long time? This is really bad news. My favorite van out there and now it's going away.

Nissan garantees parts availability for 10 years.  Saw that somewhere in the fine print.

Beyond that most of the part also interchange with other Nissans.  Add in the parts sourced from suppliers (Timken bearings, etc).

There are people still daily driving cars that are 50, 70 years old.  Factory parts for those dried up decades ago.  But they keep going.  There are ways to find the parts that are needed.  I keep using my 60 year old boat that the manufacturer went out of business 45 years ago.  The manufacturer of the drive is still in business, but only reference they have is historical information.  No parts.  But you can still find what you need to keep it repaired.