Sign in to follow this  
Blue Viking

Picking up my new NV 3500 Passenger Van Soon!

New to forum and don't have my NV yet!.  I pick it up in about 3 weeks from a dealer in Utah.  I'm having the 4X4 conversion added, along with a roof rack, ladder, and steps.  The van should look awesome when we pick it up.  We fell in love with the "overland" look with the 4X4 version with a lift.  I plan to name it the "Blue Viking" as it is of course blue.  My wife and I plan to use it for road trips, light camping, tours of parks in the US, and hauling family for the most part.  I plan to remove the seats and do a non-invasive conversion to add a sleeper/bed, and some cabinets.  Since I am buying the van new I want to minimize any destruction of the interior--this will be my constraint as I design a system(s) to allow us to "sleep on the road".  Any ideas from fellow NVP owners who've done minor conversions with minimal impact to the stock interior, will be greatly appreciated.  I will upload pictures when I pick up the van.

Welcome. Post photos after you pick it up. Lots of diy projects on line so look at other van makes for ideas. 

An issue will be covering up side and rear windows. Curtains are ok but a better idea I read about were solid removable, interior widow panels. Roof rack, ladder and carriers are a must. 

adventure-journal.com under “overlandia” had an article on sleeping in your car and recommended sleeping pads, NEMO Roamer ($230) and Luno Life ($225). If they fit in a stuff sack, I would go with these rather than a memory foam mattress. 

Assuming you you have done this before, you know how much gear ends up in your vehicle, needed or not. We are still learning to take less...

Edited by radin2son