Sign in to follow this  
lisakisses

First week with NV

We needed passenger space being a large family.  Had a Suburban, that was too small.  Hubby and I found the NV after doing some research and it sounded perfect.  I was a bit hesitant driving something so huge, but once I test drove it I knew it was going to be ok.  Hubby told me I'd fall in love with it.  Picked it up Monday, its Wednesday.... and Im' already in love.  I think it handles beautifully for its size.  We got the V8, and its not sluggish.  The space factor "wows" me!  Its not a cute little convertible, but for a van I love the different look.  I love that we are not the same old looking van on the road.  The only thing that worries me will be how it drives in the snow.... having the Suburban, and a Sequoia prior to that, snow was never a factor.  Anyway, love my NV!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Lisa! We have 6 in car/booster seats and it is really nice having a choice of who sits beside whom now :)

I imagine the snow won't be a huge issue for you in PA, provided you drive according to the road conditions and bear in mind you no longer have 4wd... We are in Ontario, Canada and the van did a fine job with just the all season tires last year. The 3500 with only 6 kids (under 300 pounds total) in the back really wants some additional weight. 4 big bags (66 pounds each) of road salt helped keep the tires planted better on steep, snowy hills. A Rubbermaid plastic bin for wrapping paper (long and shallow) held the bags of salt neatly and didn't take up too much cargo space in the rear. That being said, I plan to buy some winter tires this year if I find some I like. Not many choices for 10 ply rated winter tires to fit the NV.

Have fun!

Thanks Sampson!   We have 8 children (with plans of adding another), so yes, very nice to have choices in seating :)

The snow was only an issue a few days last winter, so not such a big deal.  I love your ideas, and if we do get a bad winter here, I'll be sure to use them!  I'm a bit nervous to even see what a winter tire costs for the NV though!  

keep chains in the back for emergencies only.. you can get good chains for around 100$ an any autoparts store

Congrats, Lisa!  We just got our NV3500 SV passenger van 3 days ago, and like you, I'm in love! It really does handle more like a truck than a van, and seems to have much more stability on turns, wet pavement, etc. than our Ford e350. My hubby is over 6' tall, and I'm 5'10", and the leg room in the front can't be beat!  Our family is all grown (no grand kids yet), but the youth group at church is already droolin' at the possibilities! LOL

We're in Michigan, and I'm not worried about how it's going to handle in the snow. It is a pretty bottom heavy, stable design. Far better than a standard Ford van. I like the idea that was mentioned about adding some salt bags in a tote in the back. Perfect! 

Enjoy the ride. :-)