Sign in to follow this  
RLang

Five Tires and TPMS

TPMS question. I believe I should be able to run a sensor on my spare tire. I plan to include the spare in my rotation (with new tires) rather than just leave an expensive tire to age-out under the van. Does anyone know if this will work with the TPMS reset performed with the tires on the ground, ignoring the spare tire sensor???

Either the standard tire rotation relearn procedure (as outlined in the owners manual) will enroll a new sensor or it won't.  The service manual is not crystal clear on this, but it does not specifically say it won't work on a new sensor, so there is hope.  On my Transit the rotation procedure was very different from the sensor replacement procedure, but both could be done without special tools.  Just be certain to take the spare well away from the vehicle before you get started.  Also try several times if it fails at first.  By all accounts the system is a poorly conceived pain in the taco and rarely works on the first try.  Here's a youtube of a guy getting it to work after a rotation (with the same sensors):  

Agreed on all that. In theory I think it will work. Reality may teach me otherwise. Hoping to figure it out before buying a 5th wheel sensor.

Edited by RLang

Leave the 5th tire away from the van as you program.  It will be forced to only see 4 sensors.  The system can only accept 4 sensors so once they are programmed the 5th will have to be ignored.

I don't know if the system will learn a new sensor during the rotation programming?  But programming tools are getting a lot more affordable these days, that WILL work.

Did a reset after rotating the tires today.  It is indeed a ridiculous routine.  It did work on the first try though, so there is that.

Update-Bought a used silver wheel with sensor for my spare tire. Rotated it onto the ground and the TPMS reset worked fine!

Great news, thanks for the input.