bbbb4

Looking for advice on the NV as a large family hauler

Hi all!

I am new here and have been researching the NV as a possible option for my family and wanted to get your thoughts.  We currently have 5 kids ages 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2 with another on the way in July. We currently drive a 7-seat Sienna which I love, but unfortunately there's not a good way to add another seat to get to the necessary 8.  

For those of you that haul a lot of people, what are your thoughts on the positives and negatives of an NV?   Our main usage will be getting kids to school and daycare with somewhat frequent weekend trips and long road trips 3-5 times a year.  

We've narrowed our options to the NV and Suburbans.  With the NV, I like the fact that we'd still have a sliding door and the flexibility to move seats as necessary, especially if we're taking grandma or friends along.  With young kids in car seats it is nice to have space on the side of the vehicle to climb up and secure kiddos.  I also like towing capacity of the 3500 V8's.  

Anything else I should be concerned about regarding the NV as a large family hauler or things to look for when buying?  Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Better buy one, new or used, soon!

2 potential issues:

Will it fit in your garage?

Does rear ac work? Blower?  No Nissan fix.  

It works amazing as a large family hauler and tow vehicle.  Three NVP’s in our tiny town.  I think it’s a van that’s much better for family use than a Suburban-type for many reason, plus you save a bunch of $$$ to boot if buying new especially.

Buy one quick and I think you’ll be very pleased for years to come! 

Thanks for your replies!

It most definitely won't fit in my garage but not a big deal.  The main negatives for me is the A/C issue and lack of 4WD, though I have seen a few 4WD conversions for sale.

We live in a town full of suburbans but most people are only hauling 2-3 kids in them. I am somewhat hesitant to put a lot of money into something that doesn't give me a little flexibility with seating.  

Not everyone had/has a problem with the rear ac and there are diy fixes. No one has mentioned taking their NV to an ac shop, however. 

You can add 4x4 at a later date. Only consequence appears to be shorter warranty. And then there is the loss of vehicle use for the duration of conversion. 

You may may want to PM newb in Maine for info on buying his Advanced 4x4 conversion. 

Edited by radin2son