crusty

Diesel air heaters

So I am looking at a diesel air heater.  Wabasto would be nice, but the budget is at the knock off versions that still get great reviews.

The actual heater install looks pretty simple.  But the fuel tank has me scratching for ideas.

Anyone install one?  What did you do for the fuel tank?  How big?  Where did you mount it?

I am at a loss for anything that looks like it might fit anywhere good, and still be able to fill it.  I found several hidden spots underneath that would be good, but no way to fill.  Not putting anything inside.  Pretty much leaves under the hood, and there looks to be lots of room.  Just have not seen anything that looks like it will work.

I installed a Espar Airtronic D2 under my passenger seat. I am running it off of 1K , I have a 2gal tank mounted inside my rear door.I did a full conversion. Excellent , uses hardly any fuel.

Espar Airtronic B5 Air Heater 12 Volt Version had been installed at rear right corner. It is very quiet (I have no idea what people are saying about its pump clicking noise) and makes a lot of heat. 

20230521_162447.jpg

20230522_164845.jpg

20230522_164933.jpg

20230521_150034_small.jpg

Just a follow up.  Got a china special but added an afterburner controller to it.

Mounted in a stainless box under the floor, above the exhaust.  Sucks air through the slide door foot well and a floor vent in the middle of the floor.

Fuel tank is next to the washer bottle behind the driver's headlight.

I did have a fuel gelling issue once when in 0° weather and 30MPH steady winds in Texas last December.  I never planned to run in that cold of an environment.  That happened at 7AM so I didn't feel bad about calling it a night and getting back on the road.  Still stayed warm enough.

The 2kw works fine down to mid 20's even at altitude. 

Crusty, by chance do you have any pictures to share? I was considering the layout with a fuel tank in engine compartment but I dropped this idea later. I picked 5kW vs 2kW as it can be run at half speed to make enough BTUs. So less noise and stress on the heater. Dimensions wise is not a big difference. 

On 6/8/2021 at 6:39 PM, crusty said:

So I am looking at a diesel air heater.  Wabasto would be nice, but the budget is at the knock off versions that still get great reviews.

The actual heater install looks pretty simple.  But the fuel tank has me scratching for ideas.

Anyone install one?  What did you do for the fuel tank?  How big?  Where did you mount it?

I am at a loss for anything that looks like it might fit anywhere good, and still be able to fill it.  I found several hidden spots underneath that would be good, but no way to fill.  Not putting anything inside.  Pretty much leaves under the hood, and there looks to be lots of room.  Just have not seen anything that looks like it will work.

We installed ours on a bulkhead behind the driver's seat. It's attached to a piece of 1/2" plywood. The bottom is hinged so it's easy to tilt it out for fueling through the driver's door. 

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2599.JPG