Sign in to follow this  
Fedexidor

Can you swap the 4.0L

I have 4 2016 Nissan NV2500s all with blown engines(thrown Rods). They all lasted for over 300,000 miles. My question is what is the difference between the 4.0 out of the frontier or extra and the one in the NV2500?  The forth digit of the VIN on my vehicles is a B, can I swap the motor out of a vehicle with the forth letter being an A?

Yes.  Keep the harness and old transmission.  I would have to check again but I believe you have a different transmission than the Frontier (V6 NV has the better V8 transmission).  Some Frontier also are flex fuel, so keep the old injectors as well.  Not that the old parts are better, they are just a matched to the van and the computer that is running everything.

Did you ever do the swap? If so, what Al did you have to do? I have a 2013 Nissan NV2500 worth the 4.0 and I am trying to see what all I need to do if I swap from one of the other Nissan vehicles.

Edited by Cody howell

10 hours ago, americangasser said:

Has anyone ever V8 swapped a NV1500 with a V8 out of a Titan?

That would be harder than you expect.  Get one from a van.  There are a bunch of little things that are different.  The engine to ECM harness is longer on the van, fan shroud different, etc.  Buy a whole rolled van so you have everything.  You will struggle and spend more money by just getting an engine and trying to chase down all the little things that are differnet.

Yah, what crusty said, and then there's the matter of the ECM as well.  There are a ton of these floating around on facebook now with damage for parts...at minimum, snag a whole front cut and get everything you need at once, or just sell/trade up.  

FWIW, these are not a huge platform for modification, and enthusiasts are few and far between.  If I had a V6 and given the availability and tunability via uprev, I would probably explore forced induction before I looked at a swap, depending on my end goals.  What is your use case?

-laf

On 9/19/2023 at 11:30 AM, Local Apparent Friday said:

Yah, what crusty said, and then there's the matter of the ECM as well.  There are a ton of these floating around on facebook now with damage for parts...at minimum, snag a whole front cut and get everything you need at once, or just sell/trade up.  

FWIW, these are not a huge platform for modification, and enthusiasts are few and far between.  If I had a V6 and given the availability and tunability via uprev, I would probably explore forced induction before I looked at a swap, depending on my end goals.  What is your use case?

-laf

The 4.0 is well known for not accepting boost.  Years ago there were many attempts made, find them at club frontier.  As far as I know, they all resulted in a blown up engine.

Interesting, I took a brief look and saw that there was a supercharger package available running in the 6 pound range.  My general experience with FI is that people tend to get overexcited and try bumping up the boost without any thought to internals or heat.  

Edited by Local Apparent Friday

Was a supercharger package available is key.  It was discontinued after only a couple of years.  Early in the 4.0 production run.