Sign in to follow this  
shanone9

Difference between 2500 and 2500HD??

Hello group,

Strongly considering a NV withe a V8, high roof: 2500 or 3500 for recreational use,  largely in Northern CA. Have a couple questions for the NV hive mind here.

What is the difference between a 2500 and 2500HD?

I will be towing a car on occasion, is the 3500 the choice or will the 2500 do well?

Big difference in models years?

The newer motor and tranny that much better?

thanks in advance!

-Shanon

Never paid much attention to 2500 HD badge. It may come down to V6 vs V8 HD. Since you want a V8 it’s probably  moot. There are differences between the 2500/3500 and old/new V8 but not enough considering your planed use. Consensus says buy 2017-21 for new V8 and transmission. 

Both will tow your car and get lower mpg as a result. But why? These trucks are easy to drive, park and will get you deep into and out of recreation land. 

More comprehensive answers are here for the digging... 

Easy to park?  What was your last ride?  The Queen Mary? lol

“Easy” parking when not doing this...

24398546-A63A-47FF-976D-CFDF8AB4AC33.jpeg

Edited by radin2son

Even the biggest Sprincters are easier to park.  Ditto the Prosaster and Transh*t.

Shanon, are you still out there. We are running out of jokes. But, I must say aztec’s unibody workout works. He looks fabulous. 

It's definitely a prosaster if your transh*t is faster than your sprincter.   I do what I can.

Edited by aztec

I had the same question. I have the V6 with a HD badge so definitely not a V6 vs V8 thing. Maybe they just called the 2500 an HD earlier on, and dropped it later. Mine is a 2013.

HD was just marketing, it means nothing and was dropped from the badging.  NVs super easy to park, although our other ride is a 35' bus, so YMMV.  If you're used to a smartcar, maybe not so much.  The wife does okay with this one.  Have read some minor grumblings about the newer trans itself (google the trans, not the vehicle,) but not enough to justify avoidance.  Mileage so far on our trip has been high 13's, low 14's.  That's been mostly flatland coastal work. We're in to the mountains now, we'll see how we fair.  I'm also having to correct mathematically for our larger tires, but I don't think that's actually so bad for a 9 foot tall van on 285 ATs.  Might do the mythical cummins conversion down the line when I get bored though, we'll see.  We would have bought a newer one if we had found a sweet deal on one of those instead. 

- laf