Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

NV safety

This topic may be too late to matter relative to why buy a NV.

A recent fatal head on crash between a Sprinter (4x4?) and Ford 350 pickup made me wonder if any/many of us consider vehicle safety when buying. How would we know? Are trucks and large vans crash tested etc. 

The Sprinter damage was from the front to the B pillar. Everything was pushed in and up, possibly the engine as well. The Ford had front end damage, but the no visible damage to the A pillar. 

I would think our NVs would fare better than the Sprinter given the beefy ladder frame and more crushable space. Don’t want to find out, but it gives reason to think about buying a unibody van. Nissan does make a European version, N300, that is a rebadged Renault. Then again, it also may be a casualty of Nissan’s financial problems. 

Some may may not have seen the photos of the NVP that clipped the left lane guard rail on an interstate highway. It rolled over on its back and slide until it stopped. Extensive damage where it hit the guard rail but the rest was relatively minor. No serious injuries that I recall. 

The Nissan vans are really good.  But accidents have too many variables.  In high school there was a head on crash between a Yugo and a Volvo.  The Yugo driver walked away and the classmate in the Volvo died on the spot.