tteuvky

DRL Not Working After LED Install

Hello,

i have nissan nv200 2015.

i replaced the hid by led, and drl stop working, i put back hid and dont work either.

low and high are working with hid.  i am using hid instead of led.

anyone can help, thanks

Edited by tteuvky

Since the DRLs are dimmer (to my eyes) maybe not enough voltage to fire the HIDs?  Put a meter on it.

actually i dont have a meter, do you think there is a fuse for dimmer?

Does anyone have clue why DRL's not working with led ? i have tried 3 different decoder also.

thanks

Edited by tteuvky

DRL work by running both lights in series.  Each light is running on 6V.  Very simple and has been how DRLs have worked for a very long time.

Your fancy lights don't accept this arrangment.  No simple way around it except putting regular bulbs back in that glow nicely on half voltage.

21 hours ago, crusty said:

DRL work by running both lights in series.  Each light is running on 6V.  Very simple and has been how DRLs have worked for a very long time.

Your fancy lights don't accept this arrangment.  No simple way around it except putting regular bulbs back in that glow nicely on half voltage.

Hmm. well i read on some forum about LED minimum voltage fonction and people saying LED should work on 2 volts also. so i guess 6 should be enough. You seem to be know very well about car electric and led things... that's good.

many people have led on their vehicle and they work well with DRL, i am saying because i am a driver in other words all the day on the road, i see the many many cars with lights On i guess they are drl, from there i guess it is possible to use led bulbs as DRL also. Can you talk me about other ways please i am a driver so i must have drl On,  it is not question of law obligation etc. i believe the car is more visible for the driver front of me. 

HID's are not enough brights comparing to Led i thinks, or maybe there are some HID which are more brighter. that i dont know. my HID are 9008/h13. 

the reasion why i bought led because they are brighter at night comparing to hid bulb. but i am stuck with DRL. :((

Edited by tteuvky

I contacted the led manufacturer and they replied this:

May I ask if your headlights and DRL are shared the same bulbs?
If so, our resistors can't fix the DRL issue.

As your vehicle's headlight bulb is shared with your DRL, the working voltage of DRL is 6-9V, the headlight is 12V, the voltage is different, it is too powerful to light up in DRL mode.
I'm sorry that we don't have any decoder that would work for them.

I take it you know the answer, yes the headlights and DRL are the same bulb. 

So from the manufacturer of the bulb, won't work.

ok let me understand well otherwise i will snatch rest of my hairs.

High beam work at 12V.

Low Beam work between 6-12V.

DRL work at 6V.

if i am right, than drl should work also as it is getting 6V. no?

Low beams are 12V only, not 6V.

DRL runs 2 bulbs in series, each gets 6V.  6V+6V=12V. 

But electricty is more complex than that.  6V each is based on both having the same resistance.  The resistance of the LEDs isn't fixed, there are driver circuits that regulate the power going to the LEDs.  The resistance changes with the voltage as the circuit tries to maintain a fixed output on the LEDs.  If the LEDs could be happy on 6V, and both circuits were exactly perfectly matched, it should work.  Reality is there are differences.  Even if the LEDs were perfect, the wiring is slightly longer and shorter side to side.  So you get an inbalance, The circuit opens due to low voltage, lights off.  Even if you gave them 24V so it divides into 12V per light, running in series will cause an inbalance.

Your LED christmas tree lights are different.  There are no driver circuits trying to hold a fixed power at each bulb.  They are just dumb series circuits like the old incandescent lights.  They have to be to work in series.  LED headlights are high enough power they need a driver circuit to regulate them.  Anything that would be a good LED headlight will need them, no way around it.

Ok thank you very much sir,

i will stay and live like that. I have no choice. ?

Ok thank you very much sir,

i will stay and live like that. I have no choice. ?

Hello again,

i have sold the LED and want to go back to HID.

i have two questions if someone is interested to answer.

1- Does HID bulb orientation matter like LED bulb 6 o'clock to12 o'clock on install?

Because currently installed HID bulb is pointed like 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock. bulb is correctly installed and locked according to three little notches.  

2- i want to buy a pair of new HID with more brightness because currently installed one are not enough bright for me at night. i want to installed with white colors like LED. 

Can someone suggest me some good pair or tell me what should i look to have white light and more brighter. 

i saw a pair of Xenon fueled but some says on google that there is not much difference comparing to stock one and doesn't last more than few month.

Thanks for your help.

Sylvania bulbs.JPEG

xenon.jpeg

Why does this project have to be diy? 

Take your NV to the nearest auto parts store and buy what fits and is recommended. They may even install it for you. 

Edited by radin2son

The Sylvania silverstar ultras are the brightest available from Sylvania, according to Sylvania.  I have run them in many vehicles and never had to replace one.