NVinNE

Nissan NV2500 Camper Van Conversion

Hi folks...Promised I'd post some pics on the van build progress when the electrics were done (mostly done).  This isn't my work... I wasn't comfortable doing the heavy duty electrical stuff myself so I subbed this part of the job out to professionals.  Now I need to get my act together and continue working on the interior including running wire for the 12 volt items.  Hoping for some more warm weather to get going.  

RightSideofVan.jpg

Top of Van.jpeg

Elec_Cabinet.jpeg

Edited by NVinNE
missing word

Like your project, particularly the rear quarter panel windows.

Our van has a full window, form not function, on the passenger side and no window on the driver side to accommodate floor to ceiling cabinets. 

CB6A1AA4-EF2A-4C31-A9F5-3CEA8778F006.jpeg

@radin2son   Thank you.  The dealer put in the sliding door window in lieu of one of their contractor packages that were part of the sales offer.  Don't love the idea of having all that glass there, but it improves visibility!  Had a Chevy van back in the 80s that didn't have any side windows -- making left turns was always a challenge .  The bunk windows look better that I thought they would and I'm glad I went w/ the awning style rather than the slider.    

Like your pop top and all of the vent screens.  What are the inlets by the back tire?

Nearest the tire is the city water intake. The other is for 30 amp shore power. Below both is the drain for gray water from the sink. Almost comically too small gray water tank. We found that out on day 2 of ownership. We picked up our van in Fresno and camped in the parking lot (campgrounds closed) at Lassen National Park. Noticed water flowing on the pavement after doing dishes. 

Agree about the glass. CR Lawrence awning windows on door and driver side. Rear quarter window is fixed. 

House batteries are outside in a tray bolted to the frame under the sliding door. (SMB did/does this for all van conversions.) When batteries had to be replaced in 10/2018, they were too heavy and awkward to do myself. Local camper repair service did this along with converting all interior lights to LED. At that time, advised not to go with lithium. 

E77EE3FA-280D-430D-B170-E9B10D591B7E.jpeg

Edited by radin2son

@radin2son     I have the 30 amp shore power inlet too...need it w/ the AC which was was a must have for me. Even at the shore, the for summer humidity & heat here in the northeast can be pretty intense especially with pets aboard.  Between the vent windows, vent fan, and AC things should be bearable.  

I have AGM batteries ...two Firefly Oasis @ 116 AH each.  They were recommended by the upfitter as a good lower cost alternative to lithium batteries. 

I'm curious about your mods underneath the van...did you add the gray water tank yourself and how big is it? 

Our van was straight out of the Sportsmobile box. Everything ready to drive away, except no complimentary gas. Never before had a fill click off at $100... Took a shake down trip, then towed our car home. 

Gray water tank may be 2+ gallons. Never measured it. Easier to put a dish pan under the van and drain water directly into pan. 

We had SMB remove the 10 gallon  water tank, replace it with a 20 gallon tank and add a hot water system. It uses engine heat to warm/heat/scald dirty bodies with the outdoor shower. Cold only water for dish washing. Engine heat dissipates quickly so engine needs to idle to be effective for 2 people. Showering takes a lot of water, so we use it sparingly. We carry an additional 10+ gallons of bottled water for drinking/cooking. 

Youtube has a 2012 new NV owner’s video that may be helpful. There is a link here somewhere... You may find this helpful. Same for Magic video on Vimeo. 

When we bought our van in 2012, we had a choice of a NV V8 or V6, Econoline or Sprinter hightop. All had floor plans similar to our ‘83 Westy (One engine blown, master cylinder gave up and accelerator cable broke). Our NV has been so dependable! 

314DA0C3-84DC-4523-A99E-FA7F35D5AE4E.jpeg

Edited by radin2son

@radin2son    Thanks for the info...I'll check out the video(s).  The larger water tank makes perfect sense for two people.  I'm going to put off too much thinking about the plumbing until I finish the DC wiring and make some progress on framing out the walls & ceiling.  

Cool...I'm so jealous that you can tow a car with your van!   I didn't consider that possibility at the time I made my purchase.  It'll probably be a royal pain to break camp to make day trips here and there. 

There are other build posts here, Mahu being one. Lot of variety in water and plumbing solutions when you are ready.

We had a choice of SMB shipping our van to us, flying to pick it up or drive with our 2 dogs to Fresno. It took a week to make the van changes, so we drove to the coast to hang out. 

This was the only time we towed a vehicle, or towed anything for that matter. The possibility is there...

@radin2son    That's funny about the towing...the photo looks very impressive...like you've been towing things forever..

Yes, I've been looking at build posts here to see how folks have done their framing, etc. and what size plus nuts they used to fix the wood wood furring to the van walls.  I bought a batch of 1/4 -20 plus nuts a while back and discovered that they fit in just a small % of the existing holds.  From the posts here, I learned that M8s are used and M6s.  I can use the 1/4-20s that I have if I drill out the holes -- then prime.  Just bought a step drill bit at Harbor Freight and it seems to be a safer bet than a drill bit in terms of controlling the drilling -- step bit doesn't seem to want to pull through the metal like the drill bit does (I almost went out the side of the van). ?

Depending on where you are in your build, there is a 2014 NV high top for sale on conversion trader. It has a Murphy bed and a slightly different modification of the shelf space above the cab. 

Also a a detailed description of the build. 

@radin2son   I'll check it out...thank you.

Another NV hightop on conversion trader if you aren’t checking...

I’m looking for a pop top like ours to show up to see how they are being priced. Sportsmobile owner said they built 30 NV 2500s in 2012 to be sold at NV commercial dealerships, but I haven’t a clue how many were pop tops. 

Hey radin2son,

Thank you. 
I haven't been checking any of the trading sites since I've been overwhelmed with planning my build ?     I did take a look at the cab shelf in the 2104 NV w/ Murphy bed...nice build.   I like  how they added a center pullout section to the shelf.  Very handy.  I'll take a look at the new listing too.   

On 2/4/2022 at 4:54 PM, radin2son said:

Hello,

I live the pop top on your Van. May I ask who did it?

Like your project, particularly the rear quarter panel windows.

Our van has a full window, form not function, on the passenger side and no window on the driver side to accommodate floor to ceiling cabinets. 

CB6A1AA4-EF2A-4C31-A9F5-3CEA8778F006.jpeg

Sportsmobile Fresno CA converted 30 NV 2500 standard and high top vans in 2011-13 to be sold by Nissan commercial dealerships. Failed venture. Sportsmobile is now located on Phoenix AZ. Pop top design is tried and true. Some would add tired. They no longer work on NVs so this is a moot point. 

Our NV was right out of the box 10 years ago, so it really wasn’t a project.

If you are considering a pop top, Colorado Camper may be your only option. I am not familiar with the lift mechanism, but the roof shape is taller and there is a screened window on the back canvas.