workinNV

Heavy Water Vapor From Exhaust

Hey everybody, I'm new here and looking for some advice. I have 2019 NV3500 with the 5.6. It's a company truck and when it does get driven, it can be up to 2,000 miles in a week. However, it's pretty low mileage considering at 62k. I just took it in for it's normal service today and spoke with a service advisor, who had not heard of an issue like this yet. I understand the basics, colder day, on a cold start, creates a large amount of condensation from the water vapor from the exhaust. What I'm seeing doesn't seem normal. Leaving my house and hitting highway speeds, it'll clear up in about a 1/4 mile. In town it seems to last a lot longer, up to 5 mins. It's almost like a white smokescreen from the Batmobile. My wife was behind me in a 2019 Yukon, and the whole truck disappeared in the cloud. I couldn't see her in my mirror at all. The service advisor was concerned about maybe a hairline crack in the head gasket, which was my first concern. Has anyone else run into this? I mean it's a fricken cloud.

Thanks in advance.

Very normal.  If you are not experienced with cold weather it can look odd.  But it is normal and signs of a good properly running engine.  It is only a problem if the haze lingers.  Oil or coolant will make a haze that just hangs in the air, not going away.  Straight water vapor, just like your breath when you exhale or watching the steam on a cup of coffee.  Large engines, moving a lot of air, leave a lot of steam (technically condensate) in the air.