Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Brian

I'm the new owner of "Brian" as my wife calls it (since it does look just like Brian from the Family Guy), I'm using it for my electrical contracting business. I'm moving from a 2003 Sprinter so its a little smaller but I've overcome that so far.

I do have one problem though, my door lock remotes have never worked from the day I bought it. The dealer hasn't been able to repair them and has called Nissan for assistance, anyone else have this problem?

Sprinter and NV

Welcome to the site, Chris.

Are you getting rid of the Sprinter? Curious as why you went with the NV?

Edited by van

I've got 180,000 miles on the Sprinter, parts are too expensive for it and there's only one place that works on them, so it will be up for sale soon. The NV was really my only other choice, a new Sprinter is 42 grand, the Dodge Promaster was too ugly, made by Fiat and front wheel drive, if the new Ford was available I would have taken a serious look at it, I'm happy with the NV though

Remote door locks have sometimes been a problem; don't always unlock. Thought it might be the key fob battery or the angle I or the key was at... Seems to work best when on the slidding door side. May be where they have the sensor, or not. Not consistent enough to be an issue, as never had to use the actual key.

Locking is a different issue. Locks remotely, but lights don't always flash. May be that rear door not completely closed, but can't tell this visually. Will unlock, open and close rear door and lights flash when locked.

Sorry, I can't help with door lock issue since I've never experienced it.

I too looked at the Sprinter when I got my NV. I didn't purchase a Sprinter for the same reasons you mentioned.A comparably equipped Sprinter is 10 - $15,000.00 more than a NV. Besides that, maintenance and repair costs are much higher. 

Granted you can easily put 300,000 to 400,000 miles on one. You may break even on total cost to own, if you put that many miles on one or keep it for 10 years or better.People cite the fuel savings as a reason to buy Sprinter, but if you do the math, it takes years to overcome the initial cost difference.

Mercedes sure likes their engines & when you have to have maintenance done you will see how proud they are of them when you get the bill. You are also very limited on where you can get repairs done. If you're in a small town & need repairs, pray that the dealers only diesel mechanic is not on vacation or you could be sitting for a week. If you think about taking it to a tractor trailer repair facility, yes they probably have a mechanic that can work on it, but do they have parts?

Although I do like the Sprinter, NV's have many many advantages over Sprinters.

VanGuy - you just nailed it - well said! I would like to add that one of the primary other advantages of the NV is comfort. Perhaps Chris can give us a comfort comparison after a few months of ownership.

Wollip- Right on!   I enjoy driving my van now.

When I had the old Chevy van, I would often jump in my car to go do a bid because the car got better mileage & was way more comfortable.

Now I don't give it a second thought  I just jump in the van, even though it still lacks in gas mileage, but the van is extremely comfortable to drive & I just enjoy it so much better.

Yesterday I finally resolved my remote issue (keyless entry never worked), it seems that when Nissan built the NV they neglected to install the remote receiver module which explains why the remotes wouldn't work. I'm not sure how that got through QC!

The NV is way more comfortable than the Sprinter, the Sprinter has the classic big van driving position with the steering with being practically horizontal. It does have better visibility with the shorter nose and much higher seating position though

Edited by Chris