Sign in to follow this  
Local Apparent Friday

Driveshaft Carrier Bearing Replacement

I was laying under my van the other day looking for more things to fix and it's about time to replace my carrier bearing, so here's a friendly reminder to check your own.  No point in me replicating what these two guys did really well...titan videos but it's the same.  The first one is the cliff notes version, second is 3 times more in depth.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl6HllAwZ0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7DELdn6Nls

- laf

Are you implying this needs to done at a certain mileage or do you wait for the “clunk?” 

I'm sure there is a recommended service interval but, in my case, I just climbed under there and looked at it. The rubber bushing that supports the bearing in mine is visibly torn, although not nearly as bad at the one in the video, and I can wiggle my shaft around by hand.  No clunk for me yet though, but I'm also driving it pretty easy right now.

In the first video, the bushing was fine and reusable. So a mechanic wouldn’t see this as a problem unless there was a mileage based reason to do this. Or the NV was brought in due to repeated clunking. 

In my world of being mechanically challenged, I now know to ask my mechanic to check this previously unknown rubber bushing. (CV boots are notorious for cracking in the desert and are routinely checked.) At least I’lI sound like I know what I am talking about. 

i think we may be mixing terminology.  In the first video, the boot is fine and reusable.  What he describes at 50 seconds as a "Mount...that tends to rip and crack" is what I am referring to as the rubber bushing, and then there is the bearing that is what is pressed onto the driveshaft itself.  In the second video, the boot, bushing, and bearing were all trash.  I hope that helps.

NV Service & Maintenance Guide sort of supports my take on this. Drive shaft boots are inspected from 7500 miles on. No scheduled service, however. 

At 105,000 miles, brake fluid, coolant and spark plugs should be replaced.  

Optional 120k upgrade includes replacing transmission fluid, differential oil, drive belts and radiator cap. 

Edited by radin2son

I just found my service and maintenance guide tonight. The way i read it, Nissan recommends inspecting the propeller shaft, which includes these bearings and bushings, every 5k miles. Seems excessive. No defined service interval listed, just inspection. 

My original point was to roll under your truck and look at the bushing and try wiggling the shaft around, it may need replacing.  I didn't find any reference to it via search, so I thought I'd bring it up. 

Got it. Good to know.