Sign in to follow this  
Local Apparent Friday

#LocalApparentFriday Buildout Thread

Just going to start tossing up pics, it's a work in progress.  We still have some bugs to work out on the van as denoted in the other thread, but onward we press.  The van is meant to serve as our "inlaw" suite and/or bugout vehicle for when we're making smaller trips and/or don't want to roll out in the full sized bus.  Right now, it's just the two of us, but we anticipate that our family will eventually grow and, in the meantime, we may be also entertaining friends and family.  Backstory; van purchased from a contractor with a wicked engine knock.  They had parked the van and started pulling parts off of it to service the rest of their fleet before we purchased it and did an engine swap, which brings us up to date.

We stripped out the atlas shelves and floor mat, then set to work replacing the things they pilfered and sorting out any existing rust issues.  The black paint is POR15...we're hitting anything that looks even remotely rusty, save for the back "sill."  I've done the area around the catch, but I'll need to do some welding in one spot before I rust bust and paint it.  The underside is super clean, everything is just inside from where either the door seals leaked or they scratched the paint with equipment.  Also not pictured is a full cab sound deadening treatment that we've already performed but I didn't take pictures of, I will the next time I have it apart.  The plan is to take it as far as we can in it's current configuration and see where it gets us.  We're currently at the beach on a ~500 mile test run, we've got a 3000 mile month long trip coming up in a couple weeks and we'll hopefully have a temporary situation set up so that we can live in it while we make design decisions and refinements.  On with the pics!  First is where we started, minus the other two shelves that I had already removed before I remembered to take a pic.  Other mods include SDT 2" front spacers and BFG 285/75/17s.

-laf

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by Local Apparent Friday

“Big decisions ahead” is sort of like “gravel break” signs on the Alaska Hwy. You know what to expect but not really. 

You mentioned seeing a hightop NV with a Colorado Camper pop top on it. In 2014-15 (?), there were posts on a similar build. Owner was a photo/videographer who previously had Sprinter or Sprinted based class B RVs. Started on east coast and ended up in CA. Mainly posted on Overland or was it expedition portal and took his van to expos. Sold it, so whereabouts unknown. 

He was 6’4” and needed the additional height. I think he did more of a modular build because the van was an office and gear carrier. I also think it was a Quigley 4x4.  

Edited by radin2son

I haven't been to AK yet and google couldn't tell me what a gravel break is...I can only assume you mean like a runaway ramp?

I think the Co camper pop top I linked is probably the same one you're describing, as the advert was on expo portal.  We'll only do the pop top if we end up needing an extra bunk.  I think I can get room for at least 3 and maybe 4 in the van as it sits.

-laf

Gravel breaks on the mostly 2 lane Alaska Hwy are part of summer road repair. Vary from short, long, dry, muddy, but all driveable. 

From what the original owner said, CC was the only one who agreed to do this. 

Edited by radin2son

So.  I guess I'm not the best at posting minute by minute updates.  We're on instagram too btw, sometimes more pics at least go out there anyway.  But anyway, we glued down strips of foam insulation between the floor ribs, then a solid layer of the foam, then plywood painted and treated with mold preventative.  The floor we went with is mannington adura rigid in heritage buckskin pattern...it's a 5.5mm luxury vinyl that's treated with microban.  They have this really neat video on the site about how the scratch resistance is so strong that you can file the ridges on a quarter off, which is cool and all, but it took us less than 10 mins to scratch the ever-loving-**** out of the floor.  It's a shame, too, because it was a ton of work and it looks REALLY pretty.  Gonna' call the sales rep tomorrow and see what's up, but I'm guessing they won't have a solution.  Anyway, we're carrying on with the build for now.

We have a bed frame that's laid out athwartships and is a double folding futon, so we can use it as a couch in the van or hang out out back and enjoy the view...waiting on some hinges to actually get to the folding part, but we can sleep on it anyway.  Been building out of cedar for the amazing smell, and it seems to be the only straight wood you can get these days at the big box stores.

- laf

20220723_191631.jpg

It's been a hot minute since I've posted anything in here or really done a lot of work on the van...been mostly tending to the flock as well as working on motorcycles, but I DID decide to cut a hole in something expensive.  10/10 would recommend.  I have another hole to cut in the van if I can find the time this week.

20220913_100610.thumb.jpg.f506b3e06603be952bfcb84374b4a02c.jpg

20220913_100450.thumb.jpg.f00b852c761372bc85a3bffebefc31da.jpg

20220913_100559.thumb.jpg.9cd2d6db44120e969fc5083f20377cd0.jpg

Just a heads up, AliExpress is running a black friday sale for another few hours.  I've been eyeing cheap chinese diesel heaters for a hot minute, and decided to pick up a lavaner heater after watching McLuckie's reviews and tear-down videos touting the advantage over the standard $100 cheapos.  Will get it in and installed and then probably see about ordering the afterburner controller from Australia.  Went with diesel because gasoline makes me nervous.  Relevant links below;

Heater $207.68 shipped after $40 off coupon code.

Tear Down

Running Review

Oh and we added a window to the slider on the van, just been busy.  Hope everyone is well.