Sign in to follow this  
zmad5306

Confused NV3500 Transmission Service

We purchases a 2017 NV3500 Passenger yesterday with about 57k miles on it. Its the big boy with the 5.6L. What is the story on transmission/atf service? I see all kinds of opinions on this matter. It seems things may have changed between 2016 and 2017 model years. I've seen anywhere from change it every 30k to it never needs changed.

Does it need changed/serviced?

If so how often?

Is it a drain & fill or does the pan need dropped and the filter changed?
Is there a dip stick to check the level? I sure can't find one. 

Any info on this topic would be a huge help. Thanks.

Edited by zmad5306

Do you know service and use history? Towing seems to be an indicator. You probably can wait until 90-100k. 

One owner. Hauling kids around town. So light duty. As far as service history all I know is regular oil changes.  I highly doubt the tranny has been touched. We will be using it to haul kids and occasional light towing, landscape trailer with a compact tractor or boat. Both well under its towing capacity.  

I still don't find where to fill the tranny. I watched a video of the titans. Where they have the filler tube with a lid bolted on. I see no such filler on the NV though. 

Edited by zmad5306

Unless someone posts otherwise or you find 2017 problems online, you should be fine with your planned use. 

Found this general recommendation. Change fluid between 60-100k. Doing it sooner is fine and won’t damage anything.  

If you bought your NV from the owner, pay for an oil change and have them check out your NV. Unless, you already had a mechanical check. 

Edited by radin2son