Sign in to follow this  
Nimbus

Build Thread: "Nimbus", a 2012 NV3500 High Roof.

Thanks, that pic was taken near McCarthy, AK, an old mining town at the end of a 6o mile dirt road with the Kennicott Glacier and the Wrangell Mountains in the background.  Amazon.com: ORIA Indoor Outdoor Thermometer with 3 Wireless Sensors, Digital Hygrometer Thermometer, Temperature Humidity Monitor Meter with LCD Backlight, Wireless Thermometer for Home, Office, Bedroom, Black : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Dang, the punch list is just about all punched out. Today we hooked up the roof vent for our on-demand propane water heater. We had installed the roof jack last summer when I "machined" a piece of 3/4 " UHMW plastic to roughly the same approximate profile as the van roof and stuck that down with 3M Window Weld adhesive followed by a coating of Dicor sealant and a then a silicone rubber roof jack, followed by more Dicor. Very similar to the roof fan installation and we've had no leaks on either so far (knock on wood). The stainless-steel vent camp is from Defender and is designed for boats. It has internal baffling to prevent wind-blown water from entering and we added an internal sleeve of stainless-steel bug screen to ward off mosquitoes and yellow jackets. Also installed a tree branch deflector made out of 1/8" aluminum bar stock since it does stick up about 3" past the plane of the roof rack. 

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

We call those stacks Charley Noble on boats, it'll do good by ya'.  As for the camplux, I have one of those we've been using in conjunction with a stock tank and a circulator pump to make a hillbilly hot tub...works good.  You should be quite pleased with it.

You are correct, sir... Charley Nobles have been in use for centuries on sailing vessels. They had a little water basin so that the heat of the coal fires wouldn't set the wooden decking afire. I'm a recovering sailor too... have had several sail boats from 20 to 32 footers over the years. I figure since I can't be on the ocean having a van is the next best thing.