Handy

NV std or HR for wheelchair van?

Hi all,

I've been looking for the possibility of acquiring a wheelchair van to transfer an adult member in the family living with MS.  Living in the Northeast and just because of the custom work done/cost on wheelchair van conversions with minivans, I'd like to invest in something whose required work would be less invasive, requiring only anchoring track/hardware and belt installation, and a ramp/lift.  I've looked at the NV200 but the rear door height is just too close.  The same goes for the 2014 Ford Transit Connect, which has a better safety rating over its previous model.  Having been driving nothing larger than the Volvo wagon I currently own, these compact vans would make for an easy transition.  My 1st impression of the NV1500-3500 when I visited the dealer was "It's huge!" I immediately opted to just test drive the NV200 and take measurement/notes.  Now a month later, I've shied away from the Ram ProMaster and have yet to see the new Ford Transit.  I am however seeming to come back around to the Nissan NV series van.

Some thoughts and questions - 

High roof or standard?  I personally like the looks of the std roof over the high roof, but if head clearance safety for the wheelchair'ed occupant dictates (roughly 46" IIRC from floor to the top of the head), than so be it.  The high roof would also easily accommodate a wheelchair lift if that ends up being a requirement (load floor height 28.5" with unloaded vehicle might make for a steep ramp angle).

Any thoughts on having the van lowered for when using a manual fold-out ramp as it would reduce the ramp angle making it easier and safer to get the occupied manual wheelchair in and out of the vehicle?

Side windows?  I know the passenger model has glass all around which would help with visibility for the driver (assuming as I have yet to sit in one - not in stock at the local dealer), as well as the person behind me in the wheelchair (preferred by), but if the high roof is required, I can't seem to get glass all around or at least included on the driver's-side second row w/o going to an aftermarket installer.  If that's the case, could OE replacement glass for that side be installed so it matches the OE fitted ones (sliding and rear doors)?

Ease of floor anchor attachment?  I like the finished look of the Passenger van model and that it includes rear heat/ac (heat exacerbates MS symptoms).  However the ductwork for heat in the floor might pose a problem, that is if I wish to retain it and perhaps the floor carpet itself.  I've yet to decide on a track system or single attachment points.  I'll also have to attach a bracket to the side pillar for the shoulder belt, whose retractor then anchors down on the floor.  I need to look under the vehicle and also see what's under the carpet (not likely going to happen at the dealer, so I 'm asking if anyone her might know about obstructions). Oh, and I likely will not be using most of the rear seats if at all (perhaps if more family members come along on some hopefully-to-now-happen road trips).

Could air conditioning be added to the rear if going with the high roof model or might I simply be able to direct some vents towards the wheelchair occupant to provide some effective relief? For exterior color I was thinking silver, and putting a heavy tint on the rear passenger windows to help minimize solar heating effects.  I just don't like white for the exterior.

The thought of a rearview camera when backing up seems logical, especially if a folded manual ramp or electric/hydraulic lift is set-up by the back doors.  Unless I have the option for the navigation package or the monitor-in-mirror (seems expensive, and does it effect the mirror's field-of-view?), I guess I could install a wired unit myself above the doors.  The camera would also help when it comes time to hook-up the utility trailer.

Besides space for an occupied wheelchair, since the vehicle would be my personal transportation, it would be used for utility - building supplies, lawn/garden tools and goods, groceries, RC gear, perhaps even some camping gear or power equipment...from time to time.  That said, I'd hate to mess-up the carpet/finished interior!  I was at first thinking with the cargo van, to having the floor sprayed with bed liner to help keep scuffing and corrosion at bay, and then fitting sound deadening and finishing material to the walls and ceiling, and adding better lighting in the back as I think I've read it being subpar on the cargo vans.

Thanks for any feedback, and I hope everyone's enjoying their van.  

Drive safe,

C.

I can't help you with the majority of your post, but go to www.sportsmobile.com (not just camper conversions) and you will be able to compare the E series Ford, Chevy, the new Dodge, Sprinter and Nissan interior dimensions. The new Ford has not be added. We had an 8' exterior height limit, and only the Nissan standard roof conversion worked for us.

Their Nissan offering primarily is through west coast dealers, but in theory, SMB will custom convert any van you bring them. So if you can find a new 2013 low roof Sprinter that was misplaced on a back lot, and can live with white at a great price, this may be the best option for interior height. The Promaster may work as well, both in terms of interior height and Fwd.

Nissan's NV web site also had/has van comparisons if you are unable to take your tape measure and crawl around in the work vans, rather than the passenger versions.

www.trucktrend.com is also a good site. They have some good info on the new Ford. Also, check out the long term Sprinter test. At the 20,000 mi service they spent over $700. I think total maintenance to date was around $1100.

I don't know why so many report 12 mpg. On our last trip, we averaged over 16 mpg. The computer said 17.6 mpg, but this is too high.

Good luck on finding the right van.

6/1 Periodically, I look at the new/used vehicles at the 3 SMB locations to see if there are any NVs. Mainly Ford 4x4s for sale. SMB in Austin, TX has an interesting, used Sprinter conversion that may help with your needs, help with a design or fall in your price range. Not sure about that "brush/cattle" guard on the front but it might be a novel look in your neighborhood.

Edited by radin2son

1. I have sold 3 units that are being used as wheel chair/transport units. All have been high roof vans. The high roof seems to be optimal for both caregivers and wheel chair occupants.

2. I haven't heard of anyone lowering a van. The local disability upfitters offer power lift ramps designed for wheel chairs. They had one that folds up to a roughly 1.5 foot by 1.5 foot square when not in use. It was fairly impressive.

3. There is a high roof all around window package on my order guide for SV trim levels (though I am a Canadian dealer).  I have not actually seen it in person nor is it something that I would order for inventory. There is aftermarket glass available for the back of an NV. I've done glass for the back doors and it looked equiv. to factory glass.

4. The body builders guide is the definitive source for this sort of thing.  See it here: http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/fleet/nissan/ordering-upfitting

5. Rear Air-Con can be added by a local upfitter. Your local NV dealer (hopefully) will have someone to direct you too. I'd also suggest spray foam insulation in the back of the van to help with noise and with temperature.

6. SV with tech package comes with a built in backup camera. Accessory or aftermarket ones are widely available.

The last wheelchair van I saw had a solid floor, spray foam, finished interior with rear windows, complete with tie downs for the wheelchair. The person in the wheel chair could ride up front where they took the passenger seat out and built up the floor to be completely flat.

Basically, anything you can dream up can be done to a van. Just takes money. 

Thanks guys,

This is a bit of an unexpected purchase idea on my part so I'm trying to fill my head and digest it all...and feel good about the whole thing if you know what I mean.

Again, thanks.

Both of the above posters have about everything covered very well.

One thing I'll mention, read the discussions on this forum about the high roof vans. I have one & wouldn't trade it for the world. I really love it. But they are not for everyone. There are some draw backs.

As for the lift or ramp for the wheelchair, if you are thinking of using a separate manual fold up ramp, don't go any shorter than a 10 footer or else the incline will be too steep. A good, light weight ramp made from aircraft aluminum can be purchased for around $450.00 - 500.00. It will weigh 70 lbs. & fold up to about 5 ft long & be about 10 inches wide. They are cumbersome & heavy, most women would not be able to handle them.

If cost is a factor, look for lift or ramp options at places other than medical supply companies. Wheelchair & medical supply companies will literally rape you on the price. The above mentioned ramp can be purchased for about $500.00. If you get the exact same ramp, made by the same company with the same model number, from a  wheelchair or medical supply company they are in the $1500.00 price range.

Since you said the van could be used for other purposes, a tommygate lift could be a good option. I bet you could get one installed for half the price of a wheelchair lift. It could also be used to put your riding mower or other heavy items in the van for transport, etc.

Edited by vanguy