Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

Camper van insurance/road service

Brought this up in maintenance, but it may need more heads up. 

Sportsmobile (all things Ford Econoline) forum had a post regarding AAA insurance and towing. Van owner needed a tow, which had been provided in the past, but met with resistance from  24/7 staff. Questioned about things typically found in a camper and denied tow for being a camper. This was not an issue in the past. Owner switched to Good Sam to get van coverage, even though he had AAA home and vehicle coverage. 

AAA does offer a RV plan, but is a diy conversion a RV? Not according to my insurance. Initially, my “what is that” agent insured it as diy (coverage for value of van and $10k for conversion). Since SMBs have RV certification, switched  to RV plan to get full coverage. 

Check your policy, but my guess is we will find out what is covered the day we need it. 

Answer as little questions as necessary with the dispatcher.  Base year, make and model is enough for them to get a truck on the way.  The guy in the truck isn't going to care, in 22 years of AAA membership, I have only had 1 driver that was in a AAA truck and not just a contractor.  That being said, we have both AAA and Good Sam as well, but its because AAA RV wouldnt tow our bus because it has special requirements they can't meet.