Sign in to follow this  
GusTheVan

NV3500 Randomly dies, occasionally won't start

Today is my eighth (or ninth--have lost count!) day in the dealership shop in the past two months and they're baffled. Would love your help! 

I've got a 2018 NV 3500 with just under 70k. 

• It has been randomly dying while driving (speeds under 45). Beeps, cuts power steering/brake, shows the battery light (but not the check engine light). Takes quite a few tries to restart, but it does eventually restart. These events have been hundreds of miles apart. 
  • Occasional loud squealing from the gas cap (thought it was belts, but it's definitely coming from the gas cap). 
  • Has died or not started several times after filling gas. Eventually starts again. 
  • I have not noticed any flickering of lights. Dealer tested alternator says voltage levels are normal. 
  • The check engine light illuminates randomly, not during these dying events. 
  • Loose gas cap light came on for the first time the other morning. Dealer confirmed it was on tight and proper. 

A year ago, it was throwing codes (but not dying) continually until they replaced the entire exhaust system. They blamed dirt roads. 

Since then I have driven it to Florida to Alaska and back to Arizona (lots of miles on dirt roads) and it's throwing codes again, but also now dying randomly.

They said they have replaced all fuel line/filter/pump parts. As well as the exhaust system items again (except the purge flow valve because it hasn't indicated any issues). 

Still throwing P00FE 07E8. 

They suspect the exhaust system/check engine lights are a separate issue than the stalling/not starting. Nissan hasn't responded to their inquiries yet. 

Any ideas? Thank you in advance! 

Edited by GusTheVan
Left out the code

I thought the evap canister was the culprit when it does that.

If your NV is AZ registered in an emissions required area, they will check the gas cap. If it fails, your NV fails and will have to come back for a retest. 

Emissions also will send you packing if the check engine light is on. They will restart the engine to bring it back up if you cleared it. 

Dust does trip the check engine light and it will stay on. You can clear it, but it will come back on the next time you start your van. Annoying but self healing. No related stalling. 

Similarly, codes for the purge flow and evap canister did not cause our NV ( older V8) to stall.

Loose gas cap has come on (replaced once) but “no” gas cap doesn’t trigger the warning. Ever get gas, drive for a while and wonder what that is in your driver side mirror? Strangest was at a Border Patrol check point. The drug dog was working, and as we pulled away, an agent told us to stop. The gas cap was hanging out and he screwed it back in. “Have a nice day.”  

3+ years is the norm for desert batteries. Dealer won’t cover this.