Sign in to follow this  
Chris_CommercialManager

Hi Guys, New Nissan Commercial Manager

Hello everybody! I've been doing a lot of reading here, seems like a nice board, hopefully I can add to the community.

A little about me: I'm a brand new (less than a week on the job) Nissan Commercial Manager, Scott Clark Nissan in Charlotte NC. I'm actually a Sprinter convert, having worked as a commercial Benz guy for some time. I've been in and or around the car business since the age of 15 (34 now). I have an addiction to anything that has an engine, I guess I could be referred to as the proverbial "gear head". I love working with commercial products and their customers. The van market has now become a super competitive marketplace that benefits all of us for sure!  I will create what we hope will be a nissan commercial dept that will be a one stop shop with tons of products and demos to look at.  Creating a shopping experience where you can look and touch the products your looking to upfit, as opposed to flipping through a catalog. 

An initial question of you guys:  I know no vehicle can be everything to everyone, and I know there's owners of not just NV's here.  If you looked at the NV, or currently own one, what went into your decision that you liked or didn't like about the truck?

Cheers, Chris!

Edited by Chris_CommercialManager

Welcome, Chris!

Congrats on the new job! With Nissan being new to the "commercial" game it'll take some good, smart, dedicated people to get the game up to the level of the domestics. I'm excited to watch!

I have a couple writeups in the introduction sections and the general section, explaining our reasons for buying an NVP, and what we like and don't like. Feel free to ask any more specific questions. This isn't a heavy-traffic forum, but everyone here seems smart, cool, and super friendly.

Hi Chris,

Here's my short list.

Plentiful, Configurable seating

Powerful Engine

Good brakes and other safety features

Heated Seats/mirrors

Runs regular unleaded

Enormous center console

Many cup holders

Fits (barely) in my garage (this eliminated Sprinter from consideration)

Scares pedestrians and compact car drivers

Dislikes:

Weird, militant seat belts that 'lock' inexplicably

Random beeping at stop lights

No Rear Seat entertainment

Bad rear view camera

Bad nav

Bad bluetooth

Skipping CD player

No Auto/DRL Headlights

No Turn signal lights on mirrors

No padding on arm rests/console in the front

No arm rest on 'aisle' seats in rear

No decent floor mats for rows 2-4

My complaints are all white people problems and overall I still like the van.  I just liked my Quest better. 

Hi Chris,

When we have had our NV serviced around the country and in Canada, we almost always met the commercial manager (cm). It took forever to meet the cm at my local dealer, where our NV is sometimes serviced. (The cm at Dublin Nissan, CA, where we bought our NV, did the vehicle orientation.)

Based on this forum (How else are we to get info? Certainly not from Nissan.), it appears most NVs are sold to small businesses, not large fleet businesses, and to families in need of a larger van. A smaller segment are special needs, tow vehicles and camper conversions. So it seems possible for the cm to meet all owners at some point after the sale to see how things are going etc.

In addition, I think it is important at the point of sale to meet the NV service writer, if the dealership is large enough to have one. I want to be able to talk to someone familiar with NVs.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Hope you can provide info and insight, similar to Bates' posts.

So....Good to hear from you guys.  I'm a week in with Nissan so far and honestly I've not left my desk yet.  I have been working on getting all the nissan certifications done to become brand compliant. Once I'm done typing this post I'm heading out with my brochures and I'm going to study and drive the trucks, literally all day long.  Tomorrow or Monday I'm going to spy on the competition and will spend some time at a Ford and Dodge dealership. 

I do expect the Nissan world I'm stepping into to have many differences than the Sprinter world I'm stepping out of.  I view the vehicles and many of the customers (maybe not the jobs they are performing, but the underlying reason for driving them into my Showroom as opposed to Benz) to be completely different.  The vehicles are fundamentally different but many of the jobs that will be asked of them will be very similair most of the time. 

Does that make sense btw? I hope I explained that right.  IE  A plumber needs to....well.....work on pipes and needs a vehicle to house his tools and work in.  However that plumber may have a bias towards a gas engine, Japanese durability, low out of pocket cost, etc etc  I'm excited to figure out what has been the driver to the Nissan for you guys. 

I know the perils of commercial brand management and will try to address some of what the last poster (radin2son) was talking about in not so many words.  On a manufacturer basis there are alot of similarities comparing Benz to Nissan and it's why I've decided to move to Nissan and use the model of creation I previously used with Benz. Most Benz and Nissan dealerships simply are not familair with the ins and outs of operating a commercial dept, and most don't even have one.  All dealerships can sell parts and mechanics can wrench but it's the sales dept that drives those things.  The one's that do (90% of the time) have simply moved over a "car" guy who takes his "car" knowledge and tries to apply it to the commercial side.  It causes a revolving door at the position and the dept (again if they have one) never really gains any traction.  The amount of upfit product knowledge and mechanical knowledge needed in my opinion is simply too much for most people.  There are soooo many products, companies, and quality differences that it really takes an eye.  It's honestly just a boatload of work but for me personally, I'm a gear head and I'd be doing stuff like this regardless of wether or not it was my job, I love it.  In summation, Nissan has been manufacturing commercial products for over 75 years, but the sales experience in the country with them can be counted on one hand.  So, like with anything there is a learning curve.  I do believe it to be a FANTASTIC product that is taking off.  The aggressive dealers that step up have territories, like mine, just ready to be taken.

In my situation, my dealership was using the salespeople to sell the vans, there was no "commercial sales dept".  I have a blank slate and will be building from the ground up.  I'm going to put all the products, protocals, and policies in place to provide my Charlotte market with a second to none Sales, Parts, and Service set up.  In fact one of the very first things I'm trying to do is have my office relocated to the service drive.  Many commercial customers do not like to enter the showroom, and even moreso I literally want to shake the hand and get on a first name basis with every NV owner that comes into the service drive.  (From my personal background I'm quite honestly more comftorable back there too )

That's enough blathering, I need to go study up!!  Please, anyone else, tell me what's driven you to purchase or consider (if you haven't bought) an NV.

Have a good day all, Cheers!

Chris -

Here's an insight for you:

I'm stretching my legs and cleaning the windshield of the NV at an I-10 rest stop when a trucker walks by on his way to the restroom. He asks me the GVWR of the NV - says that regulations and paperwork on anything over 10,000 lbs is seriously impacting his groups' small cargo deliveries.

I showed him the info plate inside the driver's door and also told him that Nissan had just increased the warranty. He swallowed the hook when I told him my V-8 high roof was going down the road at 65+ with a total weight of 8,000 lbs (rv conversion, full tank of gas, and the two of us) and consistently getting 16+ mpg. He was calling his office as he walked away telling whoever to set up a test drive.

I don't tow so didn't get into that with him - he will figure that part out. But that does remind me - IMHO Nissan is not emphasizing enough the towing capabilities of these vans.

Chris -

Here's an insight for you:

I'm stretching my legs and cleaning the windshield of the NV at an I-10 rest stop when a trucker walks by on his way to the restroom. He asks me the GVWR of the NV - says that regulations and paperwork on anything over 10,000 lbs is seriously impacting his groups' small cargo deliveries.

I showed him the info plate inside the driver's door and also told him that Nissan had just increased the warranty. He swallowed the hook when I told him my V-8 high roof was going down the road at 65+ with a total weight of 8,000 lbs (rv conversion, full tank of gas, and the two of us) and consistently getting 16+ mpg. He was calling his office as he walked away telling whoever to set up a test drive.

I don't tow so didn't get into that with him - he will figure that part out. But that does remind me - IMHO Nissan is not emphasizing enough the towing capabilities of these vans.

That's a very good point and important topic you bring up.  It's almost as important as the product you're building, marketing.  If people don't know a product is out there it doesn't matter how good it is.  Look at companies like Apple and Harley Davidson, effective marketing is what separates leaders them from rest of the pack.  I'll elaborate and maybe give you guys some insight from my point of view on this.

It speaks to a larger challenge that a new player to the US market (like Nissan) who doesn't already have a foothold in the commercial market faces, marketing and brand awareness.  The best marketing that can be done to drive sales and traffic to the dealership is the consumer seeing the vehicles on the road.  So how is that done??? Well, the fact of the matter is commercial products are are marketed differently than a regular consumer vehicles, the lack of print, television, or radio advertising does not bother me.   I've begun doing personal research on local trade shows for myself and I've seen some big very popular national one's that we are not partaking in.  On a national level those events reach out to the most customers, raise brand awareness, and put trucks on the road.  I'm still skimming the surface, and that's just one example.  But it illustrates what I'm talking about and the point you've brought up.  The following is all speculation but I believe probably a fair assessment, you guys are welcome to chime in.  I believe it stems from potentially two major factors.  One being money to market and the second being experience.  I believe like with any new venture there is trial and error, and also a limited budget.  The marketing guys probably want to spend more and attend tons of events and their bosses are probably saying we need to sell more vehicles in order to have the budget.  I will go through the same here on non factory level.  My boss will say Chris you need to sell more to offset the cost of that event, or whatever it is I'm looking to do.  I am however very fortunate in that I have group behind me that knows the old adage that it takes money to make money, and is dedicated to giving me resources to raise awareness, build an all in one shopping experience for the customer, and do all the things I know I need to do to blow the doors off my Charlotte market.  Nissan has a great reputation and that in and of itself will sell trucks, I've seen on here numerous times "I bought it if for nothing else Nissan reliability" and that's awesome!!!  Nissan has built and imported a quality vehicle that is a viable alternative to the hordes of Fords and Chevys out there.  And hey gang, that is the hardest part right?  Is all we have to do now is reach out and let the consumer know we're here and what we have.  It won't happen over night but it will happen.  Nissan is committed, as am I and I'm sure others like me.    

PS....I'm not going to say I can disassemble the NV200 blindfolded and put it back together but I'm not far away :)  I spent a considerable amount of time with it and know the vehicle very well.  I personally really like the visibility out of the truck.  The small windows in the a pillars and low slung windshield and side windows provide some of the best views of curbs when parking and the road I quite frankly have ever seen.  I also really like the fact that Nissan has included factory hardboard on the inside for all models.  Coming from Chicago we had during winter of course a ton of salt on the road.  Our sprinters did not have that standard and guys would run without it.  They would inevitably have something slide into a wall and damage the skin via a dent or the like, that could be seen from the outside.  A term that we referred to as "micro cracks" in the paint potentially then occur and rust in many cases is not too far down the line.  Overall the vehicle is just very practical and extremely easy to drive.  It's also priced less than all the competitors.  I expect these to sell very well for me.

Today, right when I'm done writing this I will be on to the big NV.  Don't know if I'll get her all done today but I've got a good 6-7 hours now to learn.  Sometime in the next week I plan on meeting with manufacturer reps from Weather Guard, Adrian, and Ranger togo over all the shelving and work space solutions for the tradesman among us.  If you have any questions on upfit equipment please ask.  It is my specialty if I do say so.   :)   I've built everything from bed bug remediation trucks to ambulances to food trucks in the past.

Chris, you "read" like a regional manager. Like your enthusiasm.

Can Nissan provide the vehicles needed to sustain a profitable sales volume. We all hear "What is that? Didn't know that." Yet, while traveling we see very few NV dealers and the inventory varies from few to fewer. Has Nissan boxed itself into a corner with the NV dealer criteria? All Ford dealers apparently can sell and service the Transits.

I do believe that Nissan will slot right into this market and take their respective piece of the pie.  The vehicles sell pretty well already, it will only improve from here.  When you say "dealer criteria" I'm assuming it is in reference to gaining the "commercial" stamp and thus being able to sell the large NV.  There really isn't much.   You just need to be able to carry inventory of standard parts and be able to service them.  I'm spending the whole day with my manufacturer rep on Wednesday and will have more understanding at that time.  However, I don't believe they even place minimum stock requirements as far as vehicles are concerned, though I could be wrong.  So there's nothing really unattainable about the process that I'm aware of.  This predates me but I believe someone told me that the NV200 when first offered was available only to dealerships that had gained the "commercial" stamp from Nissan corporate.  They are now of course available anywhere.  Never, will all dealers sell the large NV.  Just as with Sprinters, I believe the largest hurdle is probably the initial out of pocket expense for for the equipment and items needed to service them.  Most every dealership does not have a lift for the big NV, so they need the extra space, roof height in the facility, and initial $$.  To erect an extra building if the space doesn't exist (which in a lot of cases it won't) could potentially cost upwards of a million dollars, it wouldn't be chump change.  Those three things will eliminate a ton off the list right away.  

I believe here at my dealership we have about 50 NV's in stock at the moment, that would be including the nv200 and big boys.  I'll defer right back to what I said in post 5.  There is a lack of inventory, caused by a lack of sales, caused by the lack of knowledge on how to sell the trucks.  

And what you mention about transits getting serviced anywhere would surprise me, though you may be true.  I'm going be visiting ford and dodge dealerships this week and that is one of the many questions I will be asking.

Remember, you can get your large NV serviced anywhere as well, it's simply the warranty work that can't be done unless it's a commercial store.

In Canada they setup NV as a different dealership agreement altogether (in stead of Joe Nissan it'd be Joe NCV). Some of the other dealers do want to carry the units but aren't allowed as they weren't granted the franchise which causes no end of whining in my market. NV200 and big NV are exclusive to NCV dealers up here. 

In Canada they setup NV as a different dealership agreement altogether (in stead of Joe Nissan it'd be Joe NCV). Some of the other dealers do want to carry the units but aren't allowed as they weren't granted the franchise which causes no end of whining in my market. NV200 and big NV are exclusive to NCV dealers up here. 

Bates that's interesting.  It may be the case here that some dealers want the product and haven't gotten approved for one reason or another.  I just don't know yet.  However with everyone being able to carry the NV200 and seeing local dealers with not 1 in inventory it leads me to believe that there are plenty that are just missing the boat.

A quick search through Ford showed 25 Transit dealers in Phoenix and Southern AZ. Presumedly they will service what they sell, plus they already have a very long history with the e-series van.

Similar search through Edmunds (Nissan site would not open) came up with maybe 7 in the Phoenix area and one in Tucson. Not good numbers for consumers and owners of NVs. Why? Harder to get the best sales deal, but more importantly after the sale, harder to get service if no NV dealer close by. I believe there have been some posts regarding non NV dealers refusing or not being able to service NVs.

In my experience, it is due to not having a lift. When I asked why not have a pit for express service like "Jiffyquicksuperfast" for oil changes, I was told you can't rotate the tires. OK, but my tires have been rotated only once, but that is another story. When traveling and in need of service, I do a web search for nearby NV dealers and adjust our route accordingly. Other issues presented no problem for Nissan, but out west it can be a challenge to find any Nissan dealer.

Regarding parts, beyond an oil change, they have to be special ordered. Usually arrive next day. If more and certain of the part, then the dealer will order the part and set an appointment. Works fine as long as the part is not vital to keeping it on the road.

Knowing all this, mostly after the fact, we are more than satisfied with our NV purchase and reliability over the past 2 years. We briefly looked at and decided against the Ford e-series and did not consider the Sprinter mostly due to price and cost of ownership. So NV it was.

See that's really the reason for buying the NV.  It shouldn't "need" to go to the dealer for issues, these Japanese brand vehicles can usually take such a beating.  I know it's a what if thing you're talking about and I get it.  While it's a consideration to look at service availability prior to the sale, It's simply not fair to look at Ford and say, well why isn't Nissan doing that.  Ford has had so much time in this market to build that network and put all of the proper protocols, requirements, and training in place to see to it that the customer can get a consistently good experience at so many different facilities.  Just for starters I don't think Nissan has the man power on a corporate level to accomplish a roll out like that across the country.  Not only that, but I honestly don't think it would be smart to literally jump right into the deep end like that.  I can continue to speculate but I hope you see where I'm going.

The Nissan is a superior product when it comes to reliability.....

And to address your oil change comment and a quick change type underground bay thing.   That just won't work, maybe for Jiffy Lube, but not for us.  And if that was an employee of Nissan you asked "why they don't have one", I don't think he knows what he's talking about, it's far more in depth than a tire rotation.  We have a commitment to the customer, I'll explain.  This is a commercial product and most buyers are using it in a commercial application.  I think the best way for me to explain it is to give you a mock scenario.

Joe plumber just bought a Nissan NV from my dealership (had a wonderful experience btw, best he's ever had I believe were his words   :).  He has a fleet of 5 trucks.  He brings it here for all service, oil changes, brakes, etc.  Joe doesn't come in himself, he has his worker who uses the truck bring it in.  We never actually see Joe, except when he replaces or adds a vehicle.  Joe's just been sending his drivers in for oil changes for awhile and we've been doing them in our "quick change underground bay". One day Joe's driver is saying there is grinding coming from his brakes.  Joe instructs his worker to take it to the dealer right away for fear of extra damage and loses that worker for the whole day, costing Joe a whole bunch of money.  Joe gets a call from us and we tell him, well the pads are so low that your down to metal and need rotors now too (costing Joe even more money).  Joe of course is madder than heck and rightfully so pointing the finger at me.  Not only did Joe lose money, but so did we.  I just lost a customer.   

Every single NV is given a very thorough inspection on every single visit and is given an extensive report card on every single normal wear item on the truck, NO EXCEPTIONS.  You come in for an oil change and it's going on the rack (lift).  It's that report card that the driver should have been given, that would have alerted Joe to the need for service.  Commercial clients do preventative maintenance, most retail consumers do not.  A car going down for a day is an inconvenience for most, it's standing up clients resulting in lost customers and alot of money for a commercial client.  Nissan, and our dealership is committed to understanding our clients needs being looked at as a partner with our clients.  And as such you need a lift to adhere to these high standards.  

For you personally you may do your own maintenance and know the general condition of items on your truck, and maybe you just need an oil change on a road trip.  The quick change bay may allow more dealers to service your truck, but the commitment to such high standards is then lost, which of course in turn degrades the product and the brand.  Nissan simply wouldn't allow that, nor would I.  Simply put, the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Does that shed a little light?  I can get a bit wordy  :)

for me personally I take great pride and it makes me feel good when we catch things that would have potentially sidelined a truck.  I can't tell you how many times situations have come up where say.... a belt was looking bad.  We told the driver, he says... well, it's not my truck but if you think it needs it.  The owner calls questioning it after the driver has called and then we send him home with the belt for the owner to see.  Then we hear from the owner and he says thanks so much, that really needed to be done I had no idea.  And we keep that guy on the road where he should be. :shift:

Chris - you said:

"Does that shed a little light? I can get a bit wordy "

You can't help it, man. You come from the world of Sprinters.

Keep the posts coming - we're all learning some good stuff here and you are getting some good discussions going.

No, I don't do my own service or use Jiffy Lube type facilities. We opted to use NV dealers, rather than our mechanic, because there is no way we could find a reliable mechanic when needed every time we travel.

I like the service checklist and expect it to reflect thorough, professional work. This also is your expectation but it doesn't happen. When my dealer screwed up the tire rotation at the 30,000 mile service that included the optional service, I was not given a checklist. (My guess is the tech has some sort of check list.)This service was redone at 35,000 miles at the dealer's expense. I found out they had a check list format, but most customers didn't want it or use it; I wanted the check list, which had everything checked off including the nonexistent in cabin air filter. Picky I know, but not after the tech earlier failed to check and adjust the psi and reset the TPMS. After trying to call the service manager, I sent him an email that mostly praised the service. He never returned my email or called. Also recently sent him an email asking if he could check with Nissan to see if high altitude could impact the sensors/check engine light. He never got back to me, but a forum member did. 2 emails are not exactly harassment... Nor do they warrant a brush off.

Did I mention the "timer" bell that kept going off when I was in the service area at another Nissan dealer? I asked what it was and learned it was for the express techs. Speed often trumps everything these days. Speed is important to your Joe as well...

I expect our NV will be durable and trouble free with dealer visits primarily for maintenance or future self inflicted incidents. I also expect Nissan Commercial to stand behind these vans no matter what year or mileage if they are going tout our miles to justify their ad claims. Just don't sell me stuff I don't need.

Edited by radin2son

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your local dealership.  I'd tell you to shoot over here but I fear that may not be cost effective.  I would be writing the GM of the dealership and Nissan corporate regarding deficencies in your interaction.  The only way to change is with feedback both positive and negative from customers like you.     

I of course can't speak to how anyone else runs their dealership but your darn right my expectation is to have thorough work done in service.  I'm not going to hope it happens, I'm going to demand it.  I have a laundry list of things that I demand from service, parts, sales, vendors, etc etc.  Even though it's not always possible I do strive for 100% satisfaction.  Generally, if there has been a problem my customers have always known I've done literally everything I can to not only take care of it, but see to it that it doesn't happen again.  It is the ONLY way to build what is in my opinion a successful operation.

I just called my Nissan rep and he told me to give you this.  Please contact them and tell them your story.  Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, you or anyone else is always more than welcome to PM me, I'll happily pass along a phone number or call you if needed.  I of course can't get involved in anyone elses affairs, but I may be able to give you some advice or insight, wether it be a problem, a question on a piece of upfit equipment, or literally anything else.

Chris

Nissan Consumer Affairs

PO Box 685003
Franklin, TN 37068-5003

Phone: 1-800-647-7261

Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in each time zone

I contacted everyone I could. Ironically, I was going to recontact Nissan to let them know everything was resolved, but didn't given the service manager's lack of response. Similarly, I would not recommend this dealership.

I may take you up on your offer to get service at your shop. The World Cycling Championships are in Richmond, VA next September.

If you haven't seen this NV 4x4, check out Kodiak at www.outsidevan.com. I think the owner also owns a Nissan Dealership.

I have a Nissan NV passenger as a family car and I am considering the cargo for when my current chevy van needs replacement.

Size

Responsive brakes

seating customization

dislikes/wants

I want a Brush guard!

AWD or 4x4 option

The tire pressure warning reset thing is annoying.  I had my tires rotated and now I basically have to visit a dealer to reset this.

Option for middle seat instead of console, like the extended bench passenger seat in the new Ram Promaster (for cargo version)

bring back the average MPG reading that was taken away in the 2013 model

bring back the passenger under seat storage tray

mirrors on the visors

Economy button (for when you are driving on miles and miles of highway to try to save a little gas)

I have a Nissan NV passenger as a family car and I am considering the cargo for when my current chevy van needs replacement.

Size

Responsive brakes

seating customization

dislikes/wants

I want a Brush guard!

AWD or 4x4 option

The tire pressure warning reset thing is annoying.  I had my tires rotated and now I basically have to visit a dealer to reset this.

Option for middle seat instead of console, like the extended bench passenger seat in the new Ram Promaster (for cargo version)

bring back the average MPG reading that was taken away in the 2013 model

bring back the passenger under seat storage tray

mirrors on the visors

Economy button (for when you are driving on miles and miles of highway to try to save a little gas)

Don't know if your actually considering a 4x4 or not, but have you heard of these guys?? Go to Quigly 4x4 to check what they can do with the Nissan.  That is one heck of a company

Also, the upfitting forum is dead, here's a link to an Adrian HVAC in a low roof we just did for you guys to look at. http://nissannvforum.com/topic/456-want-to-see-an-adrian-hvac-in-a-low-roof-looks-like/

I think I'm just going to keep this thread going forever and post up links to stuff and other threads.  I don't know.  Wish I would have started it in the general forum maybe now.

RADIN2SON: How do you like your Sportmobile?  I watched a video last night on the van and I'm actually quite impressed.  Seems to be the best of both worlds, space saving but expands to be much larger with pop up top.  Looks very similar in construction to a boat as far as the mechanics.  Did you look at other trucks?  Why did you pick that vehicle?  I called the Indiana branch and they said CA branch is the only one who produces them.  It's actually a product I could be interested in bringing in but I'm not ready to take that leap yet.  I'm going to get some more information from them and go from there.  I'm hoping maybe a consignment arrangement can be arranged but that's always pretty difficult.

Hi Chris,

Your reaction is similar to most people, including Commercial Managers. Then, reality sets in. $65K is a bit pricey. You have to really want one...

In theory, any of the 3 branches of SMB should be able to do the NV conversion anyway you want within the limits of their cabinets etc. SMB West struck a deal with 8, fewer now, Nissan dealers to build and sell 30. All have been sold. The dealer owned the converted van. In our case, Dublin Nissan owned it, but we picked it up at SMB West. Give Gail Meadows at Dublin a call to see how it worked for them.

I think a better way to do this would be for you to sell the naked van and ship it to Indiana to be converted for the customer. I guess you could talk up the "custom" conversion possibilities as another reason to buy a NV.

Another option would be Outside Van or Van Specialties. Both are converting NVs but are a long way from you.

Yes, we like it, almost 40K of traveling in 2 years. It is like our '83 VW camper. This and the fact that it fit into our 8' clearance carport are the main reasons we bought it. Ford and MB would not. Odd deal killer. We also wanted a more reliable chassis with enough horse power.

Regarding parts, beyond an oil change, they have to be special ordered. Usually arrive next day. If more and certain of the part, then the dealer will order the part and set an appointment. Works fine as long as the part is not vital to keeping it on the road.

Wish this was true! Windshield washer pump just went out. I checked it out myself. Called the closest NV dealer & first asked for parts to get the part number, part was not in stock but was told I could have it next day. Next spoke to Service dept & asked if they could order the part & have it ready when I came in for appt. Service could not order the part until mechanic checked it out.

Drove 35 miles to the dealer. Mechanic checked it out. Guess what?  The windshield washer pump was bad. Was told they could have it tomorrow. Next day drove 35 miles one way. Sat in nice waiting area for half hour and service came out & said they had ordered the wrong part. Drove home.

Three days later went in & had it fixed & all is well.

There's got to be a better way!

Should be. I can understand having to bring it in to verify the problem, unless you order and pay upfront. Nissan ordering the wrong part? Not acceptable! This van has been in production since 2011, yet it is an unknown to service and parts. All the more reason to have NV only service writers, techs, parts and collision estimators.

Hi Chris,

Your reaction is similar to most people, including Commercial Managers. Then, reality sets in. $65K is a bit pricey. You have to really want one...

In theory, any of the 3 branches of SMB should be able to do the NV conversion anyway you want within the limits of their cabinets etc. SMB West struck a deal with 8, fewer now, Nissan dealers to build and sell 30. All have been sold. The dealer owned the converted van. In our case, Dublin Nissan owned it, but we picked it up at SMB West. Give Gail Meadows at Dublin a call to see how it worked for them.

I think a better way to do this would be for you to sell the naked van and ship it to Indiana to be converted for the customer. I guess you could talk up the "custom" conversion possibilities as another reason to buy a NV.

Another option would be Outside Van or Van Specialties. Both are converting NVs but are a long way from you.

Yes, we like it, almost 40K of traveling in 2 years. It is like our '83 VW camper. This and the fact that it fit into our 8' clearance carport are the main reasons we bought it. Ford and MB would not. Odd deal killer. We also wanted a more reliable chassis with enough horse power.

Well, my reaction to their pricing was the exact opposite, I can't believe how much bang for the buck there is.  There's alot of work that goes into a conversion.  I was retailing road trek's, midwest customs, and meridians for well north of 100k.  A camper/liesure van is not cheap, but that's a good deal.

3 benefits of buying the SMB through Nissan, if Nissan and SMB continue to build these.  

1. No issues regarding service/warranty on the NV. Conversion part covered by SMB.

2. Easy to insure as RV. My agent's computer brought up "Sportsmobile" as a Class B RV.
(Initially in late 2012, my agent couldn't find anything on NVs and had to override the computer. He then insured the conversion part, as "aftermarket" even though I faxed him all the paperwork and brochures when we picked up the van. The most he could insure the conversion for was $10K. He didn't tell me this, so I was around $25K underinsured. Had he searched SMB this would not have been a problem. This probably varies state to state, but something to consider if building your own or having someone else build it after purchasing your van.)

3. Nissan has offered much better NV loan terms than banks, conventional or RV, but this may depend on how much you put down.

post-376-0-52028400-1414860086_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-52154600-1414860262_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-93010800-1414860325_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-75507400-1414860353_thumb.jpg

Edited by radin2son

Hi Chris ;

Let me introduce myself ... 54 year

old ASE master tech w / L1 cert.. Been getting paid to twist wrench's since 1974 . I was the GTR tech at the local nissan dealer, but left the dealer scene to pursue my first love , restoring old british iron ... 

I bought my '12 NV 1500 s low roof V6 after a very bad sales attempt at the local ford dealer (insulting , to be more specific!). I had wanted a fullsize van for awhile for traveling the countryside with my Trials motorcycle's to compete and camp . The NV fit the the bill perfectly and the CV manager at Morris Nissan made me a killer deal on the low mileage NV . It was a Avis or somebody's rental fleet vehicle before I got it and except for a mark on the passenger side dash where someone had laid something on it ? was in perfect shape w/18k on the clock , w/all service records . They had installed the full factory floormat from a SV the night before , and put full factory mudflaps on it for me to seal the deal .

The best points of the NV for me ...

The best rear veiw mirror's ever on a van  ! :)

IT'S A TRUCK !!! not a unibody wanna be !!!

The size and strength of the frame .

I get outstanding fuel mileage with mine ... (it's all in how you drive it :))

With a E350 2/3rds bench installed , I can still put a bike in the back or sleep 2 people with room to spare .

IT'S A NISSAN !!!!

Handles excellent for what it is ,

Great brakes too .!

And the Cabin layout is so roomy !!

I may be relocating to the concord area soon ( to be closer to all my riding buddies ! ), 

So let me know if you may be interested in a NV shop foreman/service manager/lead tech ...

And don't worry about the new Transit , it's a made in turkey unibody ... it will never be what the E series was . The only thing ford has going for them is the dealer infrastructure ... And the new dodge is FWD ???? what's the point of that in a commercial van ? 

Good luck with the new position .:)

Glenn