big_easy_

2013 3500 maintenance past 100k

Hello, really excited to join the NV family! We just bought a 2013 SL V8 with 110,000 miles on it for $20k. I know the mileage is high, but we had a limited budget, and finding this car used in Colorado is near impossible. And this one was 45 mins away from us, and is coming from a wonderful family, and from what we can tell, has been maintained super well.

Since there is a wealth of wisdom in this group, I wanted to find out what are some things I should go get checked out with the age/mileage (outside of oil changes)? I've been reading Nissan's maintenance schedule as well, but hearing from experience is super helpful to make an informed decision on any items to fix moving forward.

I'm not a very mechanically inclined person, but there is a shop in Denver called Colorado Fleetworks, that was recommended to me. The gentleman who owns it said that my 110k NV is "low miles" in his opinion ? And that if he was me, he would do a full service with them. He said they'd get it on the lift, check out the suspension, brakes, axles etc., as well as take care of oil change, change spark plugs, check fluids etc. He said it would approximately be $800. Does that sound like a good deal?

Thanks!

nv7.jpeg

nv6.jpeg

nv1.jpeg

nv2.jpeg

nv3.jpeg

Edited by big_easy_

You should be able to drive this a long time.

If you don’t have or know the service history, checking/changing fluids as recommended in the manual or by Fleetworks is a good idea. Some of the labor cost is already in the $800. 

Didn’t pay much attention to the $20k you paid. Seems low, so hope you looked at carfax and had a mechanic check it out, nice family or not. 

If all is good, great deal. 

110 is hardly high mileage.  Regardless, I typically change all fluids when I get a new-to-me vehicle, to include rear diff/trans/brake fluid/oil/coolant flush.  Is it all completely necessary?  Not at all, but it sets a baseline for me so that I know what's what from that point on, plus I do my own work, so I get my hands and eyes on everything.  Other things I would look at at 100k would be plugs, air filters including adding the cabin filter, and potentially shocks/struts.  Sounds like a killer deal, should be a great van for you.  Enjoy and welcome to the forums.

-laf

The above is pretty much what the manual recommends. Price what the closest Nissan Commercial dealer will charge and compare it to Fleetworks. 

I had similar dealer service done at 90k for $1110. This also included replacing the drive belt given what desert heat (117*) does, plus I didn’t want to be stranded far away from LAF and his tool box/trailer. 

Are there still commercial dealerships?

?Thanks for the shoutout.

I ALSO did my drive belt, and am currently in the process of replacing the driveshaft carrier bearing.