Sign in to follow this  
Jacob P.

Starting Issues

I own a 2016 Nissan NV 2500 HD that I purchased new. Tis vehicle has 240K miles and runs great. From time to time I have an issue with starting the vehicle. When turning the ignition to start, the dash lights up and then a clunk sound. I turn the ignition to the off position then try again. When trying to start again the dash lights up and no clunk sound is heard. After a few more attempts the van will start. I have had the van serviced at a Nissan dealership twice and, of course, we could not duplicate the issue and the issue is not resolved. Has anyone else had this issue? What was the solution? Thank you

Which engine?  The starters are very different between the two.

The clunk sound is pretty indicative of a starter going out.  The solenoid pulls in making the clunk but the electrical connection doesn't happen.  The electrical connection is the second step of the solenoid action.  Step one, move the starter gear into the ring gear.  Step two, make the high amperage connection to the electric motor.  Clunk is step one without step two occurring.  It works after a try or two as the contacts and other parts get a little shaking from the clunking.  

Aftermarket starters are well known for there poor quality.  Even with a lifetime warranty, it just means you get good at changing them for another that will need replacing in a year or so. 

The V6 engine has the starter down low near the exhaust.  A little easier to get to but more exposed to the elements and road splash.  The V8 is in the valley.  Little more difficult to access as you have to lift the intake to reach it.  But it is generally better protected from road splash and exhaust heat.  For those that cry that is a stupid place to place a starter, having to remove the intake to access it, remember that the V6 you have to remove the upper intake to change the spark plugs. 

Thank you for the information. Engine is the 5.7 liter V8